General Discussion

GlassEye

Adventurer
1) For wildshape, it says I can transfer into any animal known. How do I know what I can change into?

2) While wildshaped, can I still use my firebolt spell-like ability from the fire domain? Yes/no/yes with natural spell/no with natural spell?

3) If I wanted to cast spells while wildshaped via the Natural Spell feat, do I also need the Eschew Materials feat? (Edit: found the answer under Natural Spell. Nope, don't need it.)

1. As Kahless says, anything with the 'Animal' type. Personally, I'm a little skeptical of dinosaurs, though.
2. Spell-like abilities work like spells so if you can't use spells you can't use spell-like abilities. Natural Spell changes that but I'm not sure it applies to spell-like abilities. I'm on the fence, leaning towards yes but that's probably a liberal interpretation that other judges may not agree with.
3. No. But then you've already discovered that. :)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
1. As Kahless says, anything with the 'Animal' type. Personally, I'm a little skeptical of dinosaurs, though.
2. Spell-like abilities work like spells so if you can't use spells you can't use spell-like abilities. Natural Spell changes that but I'm not sure it applies to spell-like abilities. I'm on the fence, leaning towards yes but that's probably a liberal interpretation that other judges may not agree with.
3. No. But then you've already discovered that. :)

Just did a search and came up with this that says you can use spell-like abilities:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/3w6x25/spelllike_abilities_and_wild_shape/

And since it has no sort of components whatsoever, I can't see why wild shape would preclude it.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Th druid page makes a stink about abilities that seem to be granted by race. And about spells. As KN mentioned it doesn't say anything specifically about spell like abilities. I would think that if you can't because they are like spells, then by that reasoning you can with Natural Casting.

Obviously Im hoping for a ruling in favor of firebolt allowed while shaped (even without Natural Casting), but most important is whatever you guys rule here at LPF. I hope we can agree that an eagle spitting fire bolts would be pretty rad.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I think the reason for the stink about spells is you have no access to components for them while wild shaped without some rule-breaking feature, hence Natural Spell. Since spell-like abilities have none (and in this case is granted by your class and not race), it seems they are still available for use. So yes, feel free to have your eagle spit fireballs :D I mean, it isn't like you aren't going to wreck things once you get Natural Spell at 5th and can do so much more as an eagle. This is just one minor ability, about the only thing you could do, anyway.

I would also rule that you could cast Produce Flame, then wild shape into an eagle, and fly around tossing fireballs.

But then I'm not the boss around here :D

KN

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Here's a question about how purchasing the magical items works.

I read the Mystic Pearl instructions. Simple enough. Buy what's in inventory, or roll or commission. Here is the question I have about the roll or commission part:

Let's say I have +1 leather armor (leather armor 10 gp) + (masterwork 100 gp) + (enhancement +1 1000) = 1110 gp

I want to go to +2, which is 4110 gp.

Mystic Pearl rules: Sell armor (+1110). Buy new (4110 gp). Difference: 3000. If not in stock, roll. If fail roll, commission.

Now here's where the question comes in. In Pathfinder Society, I would just pay the difference (3000) and walk with my +2 armor. (No rolling or commissioning). I know it's different here, and that's cool, but if I'm commissioning, do I HAVE to sell the old armor, or can I just layer the new enchantment over it, like in Society play?

There's the difference:

LPF: 4110 gp = 4 days for commissioning (plus a bit for the remainder?) = brand spanking new armor.
Layered: 3000 gp = 3 days = same armor, more powerful enchantment.

Would that be allowed, or do I need to pay full price for the full exchange?

KN

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Here's a question about how purchasing the magical items works.

I read the Mystic Pearl instructions. Simple enough. Buy what's in inventory, or roll or commission. Here is the question I have about the roll or commission part:

Let's say I have +1 leather armor (leather armor 10 gp) + (masterwork 100 gp) + (enhancement +1 1000) = 1110 gp

I want to go to +2, which is 4110 gp.

Mystic Pearl rules: Sell armor (+1110). Buy new (4110 gp). Difference: 3000. If not in stock, roll. If fail roll, commission.

Now here's where the question comes in. In Pathfinder Society, I would just pay the difference (3000) and walk with my +2 armor. (No rolling or commissioning). I know it's different here, and that's cool, but if I'm commissioning, do I HAVE to sell the old armor, or can I just layer the new enchantment over it, like in Society play?

There's the difference:

LPF: 4110 gp = 4 days for commissioning (plus a bit for the remainder?) = brand spanking new armor.
Layered: 3000 gp = 3 days = same armor, more powerful enchantment.

Would that be allowed, or do I need to pay full price for the full exchange?

KN

You can commission the upgrade without selling the old piece. But you have to leave your equipment at the Pearl during the RL wait time.

Aura

Explorer
Side note: MW armor is +150gp. I know that wasn't the main question, which GE dealt with, but thought I'd point that out.

Remove ads