• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generating Ability Scores (POLL IS COMPLEX TAKE YOUR TIME)

Which method should we use to generate PC ability scores

• ... Two Mountains Array (17 17 13 10 10 8)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... "An 18!" Array (18 16 12 11 9 8)

• ... Balanced Array (15 15 15 12 11 11)

• ... Other Array ______

• Method 2: Customizing Scores (AKA Point Buy) 20 points

• ... 28 points

• ... 32 points

• ... (4d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Higher Power (5d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Dark Sun Method (5d4) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Hard Core (3d6) - unbanded (less than +2 reroll)

• ... oDnD Style (3d6 in order Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)

• Method X: I wish to propose an alternative (point buy with different table, interpretive dance, etc)

Bront

The man with the probe
Dice are too random for a standardized system, and a fixed array removes some flexability.

I suggest going PHB standard 22, but 25 isn't a bad option if you want slightly higher power.

However, keep in mind that attributes rise fairly often anyway, so starting lower doesn't nessessarily punish you a lot.

Another option, would be to go point buy as start from 8 for all stats and go 32 points (which is effectively what 5 10s and an 8 with 22 is), but if you stick to PHB standard, there's no confusion.

renau1g

First Post
PB - FTW

So we almost all agree about pointbuy, the range is split between 22 & 25, with 2 at 24.

I would love to do the OD&D method (I do it in RL games), but not for PbP (without a dice roller ingrained in the site we can't properly monitor people's rolls)

Graf

Explorer
I think 24s indicated they'd be happy to slide to 25. But this is almost irrelevant really in terms of moving forward. I say we leave it open until it resolves itself.

Someone else will vote at some point.

covaithe

Explorer
The time when we need to have a decision on this is when we start writing drafts for the rules of L4W. Which could happen any time now; see the roadmap thread. So a decision on this probably shouldn't be put off.

Looking at the votes and the comments in the thread, it looks to me like 25 point buy is a clear winner. 4 of the 5 people who voted for 22 have said that 25 is acceptable.

Remove ads