Generic Classes -- In play

jedavis

First Post
I'm not using them currently, but I have used them previously. We only used Warrior and Expert (since it was a modern no-magic game), but it worked pretty well. Good customizability and fairly balanced. Also, True20 (by Green Ronin) built a whole system running on the generic classes (it's next on my list of systems to try).

rgard

Adventurer
I played a spellcaster in a short lived campaign. IIRC, my 1st level spells were cure light wounds and magic missile. I stuck with will as the good save, though did play with selecting reflex as the good save.

I can see some potential for abuse if you use PRCs in the campaign. Some PRCs need specific ranks in skills and some require a certain base save amount. With the flexibility in choosing skills and saves, you could have folks entering PRCs sooner than you might normally expect.

If I was DMing that I wouldn't have a problem with it, but you might.

rgard

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing, hollowleg, rgard. Did you have difficulty in finding feats for your PCs?

I don't remember any difficulty with it. I'll have to dig up the character sheet and see what I picked. That may help me remember.

Thanks,
Rich

jedavis

First Post
I don't recall any difficulty... heck, there are more options than normal, not fewer.

As for PrCs, I'd probably convert them into feat chains rather than making them different classes.

Persiflage

First Post
I've used Generic Classes and Gestalt Classes (although not both at the same time) and haven't experienced any problems with either. Early qualification for PrC's can and does happen (if you still run PrC's that way) but it hasn't ever mattered.

Like any variant that potentially ups the power level at a given point, you've just got to be mindful that CR's are not necessarily indicative of the sort of experience you should be handing out: a 9th-level party built with the flexibility of the Generic Classes system can easily have a lot more going for them than a "standard" L9 party.

Since my lot are all dyed-in-the-wool power gamers anyway, I've hardly noticed the difference ;)

Remove ads