Genres/Settings I enjoy watching but not playing in. You?

aramis erak

Legend
Startrek is really just a soap opera with a thin veneer of sci fi.
Not soap opera, space opera.
Soaps are all about continuity and who's sleeping with whom.
Space opera is about zipping through space...

Many consider Space Opera (the genre) to be the soft end of Sci-Fi; many others consider it part of fantasy. Personally, I see it as a separate genre from both.... and am not alone.

Unfortunately, the ALA, at least according to several local libraries, has recently dumped all of SF, SO, and Fantasy together into "Speculative Fiction"...

Many consider Space Opera (the genre) to be the soft end of Sci-Fi; many others consider it part of fantasy. Personally, I see it as a separate genre from both.... and am not alone.

Unfortunately, the ALA, at least according to several local libraries, has recently dumped all of SF, SO, and Fantasy together into "Speculative Fiction"...
Its an awfully soapy space opera then. Because it totally had those things happening all the time. To the point of being annoying.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Of course, in Star Trek, almost every series in the franchise has featured at least one character who is willing to “boldly go where no man has gone before.”

Kinda soapy, that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ultimately Star Wars is at least ad soap opera-esque as Star Trek is. Star Ears is built on plot twists where one character turns out to be another character's estranged relative that everybody thought was dead
So true- “No, I am your father.” line practically oozes daytime TV.

I stopped watching after Phantom Menace. Are there any evil twins in SW? (Clones don’t count.)

Amnesiacs?

“In the next episode of Star Wars: The Sith & The Jedi*...”

* Days of our Clones? Death Star Hospital?

So true- “No, I am your father.” line practically oozes daytime TV.

I stopped watching after Phantom Menace. Are there any evil twins in SW? (Clones don’t count.)

Amnesiacs?

“In the next episode of Star Wars: The Sith & The Jedi*...”

* Days of our Clones? Death Star Hospital?

You've got to see the newest one

EDIT:
And the one before it, which actually had too many nonsensical plot twists even for an established space soap opera

Last edited:

In before the probable edit. Just wanna preserve "Star Ears" for posterity. :-D
No, I'm gonna leave it like that. It actually fits perfectly now that I think of it

darth-vader-mickey-mouse.jpg

Remove ads