• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gestalt XP

Stormborn

Explorer
When playing in a campaign with two gestalt PCs should they recieve XP as normal (XP award for CR or EL/number of PCs)? Or should they recieve 1/2 XP to keep their advancement on the normal schedule? Is this a rules question or a matter of prefrence? (If the later could the mods move to a better forum?)

Cintra

First Post
This isn't an "official" answer, but it's what we generally do:

Gestalt characters are typically about as powerful as someone who is two levels higher. Phrased differently, a challenge 2 CRs higher than normal is appropriate for gestalt characters.

Therefore, decrease the CR of everything by 2 before calculating XP awards.

Drowbane

First Post
I award XP as if the CRs of the vanquished are 1 or 2 lower than normal. Not all CRs are equal so you just need to eye-ball it.

frankthedm

First Post
Actually, a LOT of CRs 2 over the characters will still chop them in two. The power of gestalt PCs is more in versatility than direct power. More foes is usually the better idea, especially mooks to mop up on [while the mooks are actually sweeping away those oh so precious actions]. Keep the CRs themselves closer to normal unless the players are milking gestalt, but increase overall encounter levels.

And double check with the players to see if they might like slower advancment. It is VERY easy to level too quickly in gestalt. The Power level of gestalt characters can quickly leave the comfort zone of some players and DMs. For some there is that "sweet spot" that once the game is in, the player needs time to learn how to use and enjoy their new abilities, rather than mull over the strategies needed once they again level up and have to deal with justifiably stronger foes.

Last edited:

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Keeping XP & challenge balanced in gestalt can be a bit tricky.
At low levels they are tougher than non-gestalts, but a CR 1 higher than them can ruin their day.

From the gestalt that I've played so far I believe that a party of 4 gestalts can take on CRs 25% higher than their level:
1st-3rd level = same CR
4th-7th level = +1 CR
8th-11th level = +2 CR
(And add at least one more CR if the PCs are prepped for it.)

So I would invert that for XP, for no change at levels 1-3, and -1 CR value at 4-7, and so on.

EvilGM

Explorer
I'm running a gestalt campaign and I award half experience, but I'm running it in the Wilderlands and that's what they recommend.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads