• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get Rid of Splatbooks Altogether

Janaxstrus

First Post
To everyone who is complaining about what they won't buy, I remind them of the 4E champions complaining about "grognards who haven't bought anything in 20 years."

Money, mouth.

I buy stuff all the time :)
New grid/hex map, new washable markers, four or 5 Pathfinder Tales novels, 2 new modules from Paizo and a couple of aftermarket Minis from ebay

Just nothing new from Wizards. I'm WANTING to change that, and hope 5e will be the time I can dust off the old credit card and send some coin their way ;)

the Jester

Legend
Though I love buying good adventures and good splatbooks both, I think combining them is a terrible idea.

Calling DDI a solution is absurd; I absolutely want a version of D&D that does not take is as gospel that anybody has digital tools, especially during gameplay, and a "must have digital tools" version of D&D would be a total dealbreaker for me.

DDI for 4e is not quite as requisite as having "buy 5 adventures or subscribe if you want the ranger, barbarian, monk, assassin and illusionist!"

So if I never run a premade adventure, and never use them in any way, how do I get my classes, items and spells?

Worse yet, me and kurt and matt all buy all the splat books, how can any DM ever run us through a mod they know we own?

Serendipity

Explorer
Hear hear. Of course, Wizards has only rarely been able to put out adventures that aren't grindfests*. Get the freelancers to write them and I'm totally with you on this.

* And really, we don't need so much as one more BBEG who is another damn half-dragon.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Though I love buying good adventures and good splatbooks both, I think combining them is a terrible idea.

Calling DDI a solution is absurd; I absolutely want a version of D&D that does not take is as gospel that anybody has digital tools, especially during gameplay, and a "must have digital tools" version of D&D would be a total dealbreaker for me.

DDI for 4e is not quite as requisite as having "buy 5 adventures or subscribe if you want the ranger, barbarian, monk, assassin and illusionist!"

What if it was framed this way:

"A new mega-adventure and campaign sandbox set on the high seas with detailed rules on ships and sailing, diseases and hindrances seafarers deal with, 30 new sea monsters, 5 new classes for high-seas campaigns and 15 new spells for your next Pirate Wizard!"

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I agree totally with you. The proliferation of boring non-campaign specific splatbooks is one thing I have grown to dislike about D&D. It wouldn't be so bad if they also produced lots of campaign and adventure material for DM's in tandem but they have been effectively replaced by these splatbooks which cater mainly for players.

ennh...I like splatbooks, actually. Especially ones that aren't campaign specific.:) Of course, I'm a DM and like to peruse and tinker and run weird campaigns. I would like to see more of them organized by theme rather than class.

I don't mind some campaign stuff, though. I absolutely loved Al-Qadim. The way you could just plop an Islam-ish section into an existing campaign world was awesome. The trick is making those products general enough to be useful to any GM. Putting the FR logo on it is a good way to keep it off of my shelf.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads