D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

darkbard

Legend
i think they are on going subscribers to DDI with accounts and passwords still...

Aye. $75 or so per year is not nothing, but when I think of it as money from my entertainment budget and then consider the number of hours during which I lose myself in the builder or monster tools....

darkbard

Legend
I've moved on to Windows 10, it has ie as an accessory, only thing that silverlight seems to play with. Edge, Firefox and chrome won't give it the time of day.

Tony, when I upgraded to Windows 10 I also upgraded to Edge as MS's browser (I don't remember if this was concurrent or an option or what). Are you running Edge or an earlier version still identifying as IE? Certainly, I can't get the CB to run right now on Edge, even enabling Silverlight, uninstalling/reinstalling, etc.

Did you implement a specific workaround or did you never run into a problem?

MwaO

Adventurer
Aye. $75 or so per year is not nothing, but when I think of it as money from my entertainment budget and then consider the number of hours during which I lose myself in the builder or monster tools....

Yup. I don't *actually* have all of 4e at the tip of my tongue. I just know where to look everything up in a minute or so. I can kind of do it with workarounds. But not as much fun. And $75/year isn't too expensive for that.

MwaO

Adventurer
Tony, when I upgraded to Windows 10 I also upgraded to Edge as MS's browser (I don't remember if this was concurrent or an option or what). Are you running Edge or an earlier version still identifying as IE? Certainly, I can't get the CB to run right now on Edge, even enabling Silverlight, uninstalling/reinstalling, etc.

Did you implement a specific workaround or did you never run into a problem?

You can run Safari, right? Just do the trick I described?

darkbard

Legend
You can run Safari, right? Just do the trick I described?

Boy, can I run Safari on Windows 10? I've always thought of it as a Mac thing (I'm a Windows guy) and never used the browser. A quick search (in Chrome: rimshot) indicates running Safari on Windows 10 may not be possible. Are you using a Mac (I sort of got that idea from the kind of work you do)? If not, are you running an old version of Safari and refusing update prompts?

MwaO

Adventurer
Boy, can I run Safari on Windows 10? I've always thought of it as a Mac thing (I'm a Windows guy) and never used the browser. A quick search (in Chrome: rimshot) indicates running Safari on Windows 10 may not be possible. Are you using a Mac (I sort of got that idea from the kind of work you do)? If not, are you running an old version of Safari and refusing update prompts?

I'm a Mac person.

Here's an interesting link by a macobserver guy who installed it on Windows 10. Safari worked. Obviously, I can't test if it fixed the OCB problems :)

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/art...ples-abandoned-safari-for-windows-today/page2

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It's madness. It was working for me in Firefox this morning, then Firefox updated this evening authomatically and it stopped working. I've run into the same problems as you, with uninstalling/reintstalling to no effect; it's still not working. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

UPDATE: Still can't get it working. What's more, I can't get it working in MS Edge either. Are you running an old version of IE, [MENTION=6777248]Undertaker Sheep[/MENTION]? Which one?

Apparently the latest Firefox update unleashed a coup de grace on Silverlight.

You may have to join those of us on the dark side with the offline tools....

darkbard

Legend
Y'know, given the timing of the Firefox update and WotC's pending new login protocol (sort of), I wonder if WotC didn't know this would be another nail in the coffin for the 4E online tools. Especially with their announcement of 5E tools this week.

Conspiracy theorists, run amok!

MwaO

Adventurer
Y'know, given the timing of the Firefox update and WotC's pending new login protocol (sort of), I wonder if WotC didn't know this would be another nail in the coffin for the 4E online tools. Especially with their announcement of 5E tools this week.

Conspiracy theorists, run amok!

I doubt at this point they actually want to kill the tools. If anything, I'd expect them now to start allowing new subs. Or maybe licensing OCB to someone who'd want to make an alternate CB.

Revenue from old edition > no revenue from old edition. And the initial sales of 5e core books is probably slowing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases