D&D 1E Getting a 1E/2E feel from 5E

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, some great ideas and unfortunately some where I think it's just easier to play 1E/2E.

My original thought process was what if I want to play an older module/sequence of modules with the new rules? Rather than convert the module up to 5E could I do the reverse?

I remember enjoying the feel of AD&D and not so much some of the things from more modern editions.

At the end though I'd go for the feel of the game rather than massive rule changes, so fairly simple things that stop 5E feeling like AD&D.

Arcshot

First Post
The first few things that immediately come to my mind after reading OP's post are:
Negative AC is better
THACO
Energy drain removes level permanantly
Strength 18 (%)
1d4 HD

Ok, the above might not be what OP has in mind in terms of 1E/2E feel but the said mechanics should definitely give a retro feel.

1E/2E have slower healing. Cure light wounds and healing potions were ever so important back then, especially for characters with 1d4 HD. Clerics are one of the must-have in a party. I prefer the 5E healing pace. Less punishing for PCs but also allow me as DM to worry less about handing out Healing potions and pull less punches in dealing damage to PCs. Just my personal style.

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Let me throw my hat in the ring. I have played every iteration of D&D since the Holmes Basic Set, save 4th.

I think it is the "feel" of the play and intent rather than the "system". I have found that the most "1e" feeling games, are those played with any system, but played like it was back then. Remember the very simple plots and dungeons? No over-arching world-shattering plots. No complicated political cloak and dagger stuff between the NPCs.

Not every dungeon had this delicate eco system or scientific reasoning behind it. It was just a dungeon to be plundered. Simple. We played to have fun. We played for gold and for glory.

I keep my plots simple and sometimes there is no good reason for the gelatinous cube to be in an orc fortress. Its there because its fun...like when we played 1e. I think the 1e feel comes from the play style.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Let me throw my hat in the ring. I have played every iteration of D&D since the Holmes Basic Set, save 4th.

I think it is the "feel" of the play and intent rather than the "system". I have found that the most "1e" feeling games, are those played with any system, but played like it was back then. Remember the very simple plots and dungeons? No over-arching world-shattering plots. No complicated political cloak and dagger stuff between the NPCs.

Not every dungeon had this delicate eco system or scientific reasoning behind it. It was just a dungeon to be plundered. Simple. We played to have fun. We played for gold and for glory.

I keep my plots simple and sometimes there is no good reason for the gelatinous cube to be in an orc fortress. Its there because its fun...like when we played 1e. I think the 1e feel comes from the play style.

I agree 'playstyle' is a large part of it but I feel there are also definite rules tweaks so make the rules seem more like AD&D. For example attrition of resources was a bit part of the game back in the day, hit points didn't come back as quickly but also likely didn't go away as quickly either. So change the healing/recovery rules to slow it down and get rid of hit die healing as well. On the counter side look closely at the damage monsters dish out.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think a more constructive approach would be:

What single 5th edition rule, feature or option is the greatest obstacle to getting that AD&D feel?

You can only pick one thing. Each.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Remember, setting up straw men wins pointless arguments.

He didn't say it was universally true. He just answered the question "why no multiclass". He even said things like "we seem to have [] different experiences" and "in any campaigns I knew of".

The question was asked, "If I wanted to make 5e more like 1e/2e, what would I do."

And he answered with "No multiclassing. Period."

Seems pretty universal to me. There definitely isn't any middle ground there, but instead YOU MUST NOT DO THIS. Then went on to explain that he has never seen dual classing in his games as one of the reasons. Thus the anecdotal experience part. All I said was that we (all of us) shouldn't use our own anecdotal experience to tell someone else what they can or can't do in order to emulate AD&D (or any other version) as if it's non negotiable.

The only one making a strawman around here is you.

You should reread the thread and reconsider who really started this argument. Only you use the phrase "universal truth". :(

Indeed you should.

I notice that most (all?) of the suggestions are player-side, especially character creation and development. For my money, you can streamline PCs (good idea), but there's only a handful of them in the game after all. The DM won't really get a classic feel without also streamlining the monsters, and at that point, you're probably better off starting with Basic or 1e and implementing some of the innovations you like from 5e. The easiest approach might be to start with something like Basic Fantasy and 5erize it to your liking.

Remove ads