Getting back into Magic: The Gathering after a loooong hiatus

ccs

41st lv DM
... then you shold make a wide bow around MtG (or any other CCG). You'd get way better value buying into any of FFG's LCGs (e.g. Android: Netrunner), or games like Summoner Wars.

This is poor advice.
Because you do NOT have to spend crazy amounts to just play some casual MTG games while killing time waiting on a friend. Nor do you need to worry about keeping current based on the tourney scene.

Jhaelen

First Post
This is poor advice.
Because you do NOT have to spend crazy amounts to just play some casual MTG games while killing time waiting on a friend. Nor do you need to worry about keeping current based on the tourney scene.
Edit: Ops, misread.

Actually, that's another point _against_ playing MtG. If you don't have to worry about keeping up with a tournament scene, you can choose the best game of its kind, rather than the one that's the most widely played.

Imho, the only valid reason to play MtG over any other deck-construction game is that it can sometimes be difficult to find other players.

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Explorer
-Damage to multiple creatures blocking a single attacker is now assigned by the active player (ie, the attacker), instead of the other way around.

Been playing since Alpha. Pretty certain it has always been this way, unless one of the blockers has banding, which gives the defending player the ability to allocate where the damage goes.

Dire Bare

Legend
Well, according to statistics, vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor.
I guess, that's my last comment about that.

Step off man! Vanilla rocks! A good vanilla bean ice cream sounds awesome while playing the world's leading card game! :)

You know what irritates me? Hipsters who like to claim things like, "Oh, that thing, you know it's no good because it's popular and lots of people really like it. You should play something more obscure, totes better!"

Dire Bare

Legend
-"Expeditions" are extremely rare non-basic lands that get printed from time to time and can show up randomly in any booster, regardless of the set. These are always foil and can fetch prices well above 100 USD. I've heard they show up every 200 boosters, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Almost. "Zendikar Expeditions" was a set within sets from the last block, Zendikar. They were "mythically" rare lands with a special "Zendikar" border that you could find in the "Battle for Zendikar" and "Oath of the Gatewatch" sets (basically 20 released for each set, 40 total).

To my knowledge, previous sets did not have "Expedition" lands, and the current set, "Shadows over Innistrad" also does not have any of these special lands.

Dire Bare

Legend
Is there a place that sells these deck builder tool kits the cheapest?

I'm just browsing at Target (Star Wars blu ray - yay!) and a Magic Origins deck builders toolkit is $41.99. Is that decent?

They also have Fate Reforged, Magic Origins, Oath of the Gatewatch, and Khans of Tarkir intro packs, all with different names, for $15.99.

Also, what's the newest set?

I hate being an askhole, but I'm totally lost here. I don't have a ton of cash to be splurging on a game and want my money's worth!

Thanks!!!

"Fat Packs" retail around $42 dollars, and consist of 9 boosters, a 20-sided die ("spindown" life counter), a chunk of basic lands, a booklet showcasing all the cards in the relevant set, and a rather nice and sturdy box for your cards.

"Deck Builder Tool Kits" retail at $20 (I think), but can often be found for less. They consist of 100 basic lands, 125 semi-randomized cards, four boosters, a guide to deck-building, and a box (not as nice as the fat pack box).

The "intro decks" include a pre-built 60 card deck, and two boosters, and retail at $15.99.

The most recent set just released like a week or so, "Shadows over Innistrad". Both a fat pack and a deck-builders tool kit have been released for this set and are in stores now. There are five different intro decks for this set, plus a "duel deck" ("Blessed vs Cursed") that isn't officially a part of this set, but is closely themed to it (it basically works as a preview to the set).

If you want to build a new base of common cards, picking up boosters, fat packs, and deck-builders tool kits is a great idea to quickly and cheaply build your collection. If you want some pre-built decks to get you started, all of the intro and duel decks are great also.

If you really get into looking for specific cards to fine-tune your deck ideas, then purchasing singles is more efficient than purchasing boosters or decks, although nothing beats the rush of ripping open a new booster to see what you've pulled!

EDIT: When looking for specific cards, research to see if they show up in an intro deck, duel deck, or other pre-constructed set before purchasing singles. You can sometimes purchase an entire deck for the same price or less than the card goes for as a single.

If you are a collector (which it sounds like you aren't), or just like alternate art promo cards, the duel decks and intro decks have them (usually one per deck). The deckbuilder's tool kits come with a handful of cards you can't get in boosters, usually reprints of cards from older sets.

Consider finding a local game store, and playing "Friday Night Magic". A great casual environment, earn promo cards, and meet new Magic geeks!

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
This is poor advice.

Yes, it is indeed.

Even if you get into competitive Magic, the tournament scene, you don't have to spend an arm & a leg, although you probably will spend more than the casual player. Just set yourself a monthly Magic budget, and target specific cards and keep an eye out for bargains. Avoid the cards priced ridiculously high.

I'll never make the Pro-Tour, heh, but I do okay in my local tournament scene. I rarely pay more than $5-8 for a card and I don't spend more than $50 a month, if even that much. Singles and boosters included.

SolitonMan

Explorer
When I dip back into Magic (every five years or so I get into it for a block, it seems) I find it easy to get cheap cards on Ebay. You can usually find people willing to sell complete play sets (4 of each card) of the commons and uncommons for reasonable prices.

Remove ads