Getting Dangerous With The Elite: Dangerous Role-Playing Game

Some RPGs are suited to telling a tight story, and some work best in a sandbox where players can explore and adventure as they please. The Elite: Dangerous RPG definitely falls into the latter category.
Some RPGs are suited to telling a tight story, and some work best in a sandbox where players can explore and adventure as they please. The Elite: Dangerous RPG definitely falls into the latter category.

That makes sense, though, as the original Elite is arguably the granddaddy of open-world videogames. Despite coming on cassette tape and taking up considerably less memory than this web page, it allowed players to explore an entire galaxy of starbases, pirate bases and asteroid fields, and the tabletop version from Spidermind sets out to emulate the same feel of freedom and exploration.
Unlike its digital ancestors, however, the Elite: Dangerous RPG isn't designed around a lone-wolf star pilot but rather a whole party of them. Or possibly the term is 'squadron', as every player is expected to have their own ship, whether it's a single-seat fighter or a cruiser teeming with laser cannons.

It still sets out with the aim that any character can achieve any role they want though, and as such there's nothing even slightly resembling classes or even archetypes in the rulebook. Instead, you build your character by picking a number of background options that can determine everything from your childhood to your career. For example, if you decide that your character used to be an engineer they get extra points in their repair skill, while a brief foray into politics boosts their social skills.

The sheer range of options is staggering - apparently cheerleading at high school is worth +20 points in athletics - and set the scene for Elite as a whole. The entire game seems based around giving you choices to upgrade and tweak your character, their gear and their ship. Sometimes this could mean investing in a fresh rack of missiles, while others could involve dying your skin an attractive shade of blue for a bonus to social encounters.

In terms of crunch, therefore, the game is incredibly broad but not particularly deep. Everything from charming a contact to firing a chaingun is settled with the same core mechanic of trying to hit a target number by rolling a d10 with a skill bonus on top. Every ten points you have in a skill you gets you a +1, with early-game characters maxing out at around a +4 and only the greatest of pilots ever reaching the heights of a perfect +10.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, and for a game that looks so intimidating at first glance Elite: Dangerous is surprisingly quick to pick up, with the only truly complicated part of the rules being those for space combat. Even then, most players should be fairly comfortable with their options once they get a couple of encounters under their belt.

It's the kind of system that rewards players who like to tinker with their character and enjoy looking over weapon tables and lists of cybernetic enhancements, imagining how they'll use them in the next encounter. At the same time, it doesn't need them to spend hours on a single turn as they activate buffs and roll on endless tables.

The biggest flaw, perhaps, is in the universe itself. Elite has always been about the tales players made up for themselves rather than those presented in the fiction, and as sci-fi settings go the one presented in the Elite: Dangerous RPG is incredibly generic. Between the corporate-run Federation, feudalistic Empire and democratic but anarchic Alliance all the tropes you'd expect are well-represented, and at times it feels as though the game is calling out for some unique twist that shakes things up a little.

Appropriately enough then, it's up to the players to write the stories that make their galaxy come alive, and the Elite: Dangerous RPG certainly provides the tools for them to do that.

contributed by Richard Jansen-Parkes

Richard Jansen-Parkes

Richard Jansen-Parkes

S'mon

Legend
I think the genius of Elite was in its content generation systems that created the sandbox to play in. What GM-side procedural content generation tools does the RPG have for creating the sandbox?

G

Guest 6801328

I think the genius of Elite was in its content generation systems that created the sandbox to play in. What GM-side procedural content generation tools does the RPG have for creating the sandbox?

Ahhhh...now we're making progress.

I could see how content generation tools could make it easier for the GM to improvise in a sandbox setting.

However, I'm not sure that makes the RPG itself more suited to sandbox play. It makes it easier to GM the game, but that's not the same.

I guess it's a matter of semantics, that is, of whether you want to consider the inclusion of such tools intrinsic to the game itself. I can easily imagine content generation tools for CoC, but since they aren't included in the default game one might argue that the "game isn't as suited for sandbox play".

5ekyu

Hero
Ahhhh...now we're making progress.

I could see how content generation tools could make it easier for the GM to improvise in a sandbox setting.

However, I'm not sure that makes the RPG itself more suited to sandbox play. It makes it easier to GM the game, but that's not the same.

I guess it's a matter of semantics, that is, of whether you want to consider the inclusion of such tools intrinsic to the game itself. I can easily imagine content generation tools for CoC, but since they aren't included in the default game one might argue that the "game isn't as suited for sandbox play".
TBH, i started to respond to the earlier question about the game with things like random "system" generstor but then stopped when i recalled...

Recently on Shield of Tomorrow RPG the GM there used the random system generator to do on the fly a system or two... Now SoT and its game system (Star Trek Adventures) are Star Trek setting and obviously anything but "built for sandbox."

I then recalled how much random generation suport there has always been in DnD and others and so...

I myself could not support ny own hypothesus that the random system type, random city type, random dungeon or critters by region etc rules were at all very distinctive of differentiable a trait for deciding " good for sandbox" or " built for sandbox" or whatever label one wishes to put on the dividing line.

I think i reached " without any, its likely ill-suited for sandbox" but that doesn't mean its good for the other.

Especially since sandbox does not need to involve travel at all. "We be bank robbers instead" does not need space travel - for cthulgu or space opera.

Ah, Elite ! Released on the BBC Micro model B in 1984 - and probably my favourite all-time computer game. And yes I did finally make Elite, before my Dad's BEEB finally died ....

But I'll restrict myself to 4 comments more suited to role-playing:
1.space was mind-boggling BIG. There were many places to go to
2. The repetition of trade and combat could get monotonous when you reached Dangerous level. At that point, missions kicked in: one had you trailing a stolen shop through several star systems and into the next galaxy. The second it was you being chased everywhere by the Insect -like Thargoids because you were carrying the secret plans that the Navy required.
3. There were rumours among the Elite community of finding mysterious ships somewhere far out in space. (I never saw one myself)
4. Each planet had a few lines of text describing it - and a unique quirk it had. And many of these reflected Hitch-Hiker's Guide inspired humour, eg: "This planet is known for its love of Zero-G Cricket" !!

Jhaelen

First Post
The Elite missions were really fun. The one I recall best was having to get rid of a freight of tribbles (of Star Trek fame) before they overwhelmed the ship. And then the one where you got ambushed by Thargoids during your hyperspace jumps with increasing frequency; that was really tough.
I played the game on the Amiga, imho, the best version ever released.

Gibili

Explorer

Rather than using tools, I've always achieved that by:
* The DM's imagination at the time and ability to improvise.
* Ideas spun off from the player's comments whilst they play. Always a great source of things to give the team things to do.
* The DM writing scenarios in a modular manner which can be dropped into any location with only minor changes, or changes that can be improvised at the time, thus allowing the players to go where they wish and do what they want.
* The DM having a thorough knowledge of the sandbox world, what is going on across the sandbox, who the main movers and shakers are, so that it doesn't matter where the players go, the DM knows what is going on and can thus accomodate such freedom of movement. It's a kind of framework upon which you can hang specific scenarios.

What you often have in a sandbox environment is actually a series of fixed adventures which can take place in many different locations. If any given location is interesting then the players will usually stay and explore in more detail.

G

Guest 6801328

Does this game run the risk of being too similar in theme to Traveller?

I don't think there's a problem with games having the same theme if they are taking dramatically different approaches with mechanics. (I can't speak to the difference in this case because I don't know the rules for Elite. Just sayin'.)

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Does this game run the risk of being too similar in theme to Traveller?

I picked this up a few days ago and have read the character generation rules as well as perusing the rest of the book, albeit lightly. It is similar to Traveller, which I've played extensively, in that it takes place in a large universe, with governments and worlds spanning large areas of space, and with variety between those governments. It is also similar in that trade is part of the foundation of character activity, if players decide to go that route. Beyond those, it is unlike Traveller in that travel is faster, meaning that a story can take place across a larger area of space without having to accept the months of travel that Traveller requires between subsectors, to say nothing of while sectors of space.

The system is pretty light, and looks to provide for quick resolution of rolls at the table. There are no stats....read that again: no stats. Characters are defined by skills and a few others pools of points to account for damage and those used to increase the odds during encounters. The simple d10-based mechanic involves rolling at or above a target number with a d10+bonuses, most of which will come from skill scores. Damage is based on weapon plus extra coming from how much over the target number you roll. I think combat looks to be more fluid and faster than in Traveller, mechanically.

Also unlike Traveller, characters can actually advance in skill level over time, becoming considerably more capable over time. Yes, there is skill advancement in Traveller, but it's small and takes forever. Elite is more mainstream in this area.

I might add some more on this comparison later as I become more familiar with the game. but after a few days it looks like it'll fill the niche that Traveller does, with better, more modern rules and a universe that is more immediately accessible due to the technological assumptions at the root of the world.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads