• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting into PDF seller dungeon tiles

grickherder

First Post
I'm thinking of getting into PDF dungeon tiles. Like the ones SkeletonKey makes.

What I'm wondering is what's the best way to print them off? Do you print with a higher end printer settings on photopaper, or do they look fine on copy paper? How many do you get out of an ink cartride?

Anyone recommend any particular PDFs or Publishers?

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
We're running a sale right now, and here is a link to a free sampler pack:

RPGNow.com - Fat Dragon Games - Fat Dragon Games Sampler Pack

We offer 2D, 2D/3D combos, and fully 3D terrain sets.

FDG0059A10.jpg

fdg0052bw.jpg

grickherder

First Post
I must have been living in a cave, because this is the first time I have seen World Works or Fat Dragon.

Wow. It looks pretty hard to build that stuff.

fissionessence

First Post
I must have been living in a cave, because this is the first time I have seen World Works or Fat Dragon.

Wow. It looks pretty hard to build that stuff.

I recently bought Fat Dragon's EZ Dungeons, and it's the first time I've done anything like that (paper modeling). It's not hard. It's expensive, as I don't have a color printer, and I have to get pages printed at Kinkos, etc., but no, not hard. Time consuming . . . and expensive. But not hard.

The hardest part is finding out which pages to print, as they don't include any kind of beginners' guide of what pages to use to build what; it's just assumed you can figure it out, I guess :-\

~

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The hardest part is finding out which pages to print, as they don't include any kind of beginners' guide of what pages to use to build what; it's just assumed you can figure it out, I guess :-

This is something that many of the WorldWorks sets do contain. It's really handy.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
The hardest part is finding out which pages to print, as they don't include any kind of beginners' guide of what pages to use to build what; it's just assumed you can figure it out, I guess :-

~

Actually, in the new Deluxe Edition there is a stand-alone guide with color layouts showing how to create a multitude of room designs.

Novem5er

First Post
I've been building and using the Fat Dragon EZ Dungeon tiles (3d) for about 2 months now.

I love them.

This is my first time making 3d cardstock terrain and I've found it to be pretty easy. All the pieces have guide lines for where to cut and where to score, and the rest is just folding and gluing.

If you have your own color printer, then it isn't that expensive either. Most of the pieces are shades of gray with some really subtle color that gives the "stones" some variance. The textures look great and I've been surprised at how long my color ink cartridge has lasted.

I originally just used the wall pieces with slimmed down based to stack on top of my official WotC Dungeon Tiles... but I'm considering doing what FTG suggests and mounting everything on foam core. I'm just trying to use everything I have at my disposal and am still trying to figure out the best way :)

My only complaint (which is not a complaint at all)... I want more dungeon dressing! I love the barrels, crates, and chests that come with the pack, but I could really use some more 3D terrain :)

Maybe Fat Dragon could work on some thematic item packs, so we could drop in some dressings into our existing dungeons to really change them up.

I'd buy :)

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Maybe Fat Dragon could work on some thematic item packs, so we could drop in some dressings into our existing dungeons to really change them up.

I'd buy :)

LOL- this is exactly why we re-launched the E-Z Dungeons line last month. We have a bunch of small expansion packs like torture rooms, crypts, armories, etc. that you can use to customize the new Deluxe Edition however you want. We're taking the 'A la carte' approach to dungeon terrain with this new series. This also enables us to produce some product-specific expansions for our publishing partners that allow you to customize what you already own without re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

Novem5er

First Post
LOL- this is exactly why we re-launched the E-Z Dungeons line last month. We have a bunch of small expansion packs like torture rooms, crypts, armories, etc. that you can use to customize the new Deluxe Edition however you want. We're taking the 'A la carte' approach to dungeon terrain with this new series. This also enables us to produce some product-specific expansions for our publishing partners that allow you to customize what you already own without re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

Sounds great! I assume that these expansion packs haven't been released yet? I haven't found them on your website, so I'll keep checking back.

My biggest problem running any dungeon encounter (using 3d terrain or not) is to make the rooms feel alive. 4e puts such an emphasis on using terrain in encounter design, I've been trying more to make memorable encounters. I've got 3d walls now (and crates, and barrels, and rubble), but now I need to make the other stuff stand out. I'm glad you're working on it!

One suggestion: I'd like to see some 3d terrain features that focus on the types of terrain in the 4e DMG:

• Difficult (you've already got rubble)
  • Blocking (you've got columns, maybe large furniture)
  • Challenging (idk... mud, slime, ice, skulls)
  • Hindering (pits, fire, water)
  • Obscured (3D fog boxes?)
  • Cover (more furniture, low walls, etc)
I think also "Sets" based upon different monster races would be great:

• goblin, orc, gnoll - piles of skulls, demon idols, filthy bed sacks, rubbish piles
  • drow - spider statues, alters, arches, webs
  • dwarves - lots of runes, stone tables, etc
  • Eladrin/fey - lots of script, magic braziers, fountains
Even some different "wall hangings" would be great... just decorations you could fold over existing EZ walls.

Just some ideas!

Remove ads