Getting Ready to Play

aramis erak

Legend
I usually build a Word document out of stat blocks of opponents in the game that I can then annotate, write on to track hit points, spells cast, etc. This gives me a chance to review all of the stat blocks actively and interact with them rather than just reading them on the page which helps cement their presence in the adventure into my brain.
I use a different program — Libre Office — but often do likewise.
I'm running a game with lots of random encounters... so the stats are transcribed into a digest sized 40pp booklet of NPC templates.

If I have to make maps, I usually use Alphalina Designer. Why? Pay once license, vector graphics, good pen support and designed for tablet mode.

shawnhcorey

wizard
I use a different program — Libre Office — but often do likewise.
I'm running a game with lots of random encounters... so the stats are transcribed into a digest sized 40pp booklet of NPC templates.

If I have to make maps, I usually use Alphalina Designer. Why? Pay once license, vector graphics, good pen support and designed for tablet mode.

The FOSS alternative is Inkscape.

Some free graphics software. (They all have layers, except Blender.)
Raster-based:
Vector: Draw Freely | Inkscape
3D: blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software

Free software for organizing your notes: Zim - a desktop wiki

aco175

Legend
I make all my adventures with some notes and all the statblocks in the adventure, similar to 4e Dungeon Delve book. I try to anticipate the players and have a few notes of what I think they may do. This may work more of the time, but enough that it helps. I tend to sent it to work to print since it is faster and easier on that printer. I have forgot to put the adventure back in my car as soon as printed and have forgot it at work a time or two.

I could show up to a game with one binder that has the adventure I printed out and several reference sheets with notes and NPCs and such. I also have a dice box with some pencils and minis inside that I would need and a few grid maps. My brother brings a few totes of minis and the dungeon tiles, so that frees me some.

aramis erak

Legend

Remove ads