Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Trailer coming on Monday. Willit be good? Will it be bad? Who knows!

"The Leftovers’ Carrie Coon starring as mom Callie, I, Tonya’s Mckenna Grace as her science-obsessed daughter Phoebe, and Stranger Things’ Finn Wolfhard as gearhead son Trevor. They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know."

ELHknTGX0AAh5cn

"Manhattan Crossrip” is the technical term for that long-ago bizarre incident in New York involving an apocalypse-summoning skyscraper, a gargantuan killer marshmallow man, and four working stiffs who managed to fight back against an ancient Sumerian God named Gozer.

Most of the original cast have committed to returning as their classic characters, although it’s not clear in what capacity they'll appear. (Harold Ramis died in 2014, and Rick Moranis, who has limited his screen work in recent years, is not expected to reprise his role.)

We probably won't see much of the classic characters until the film itself reveals what became of them over the past three decades. Callie and her family are also wondering how those guys fit into their lives.

“As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman said. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”

Reitman doesn’t want to confirm much else about the family’s history, but people may already notice some familiarity in their appearance.

In the collapsing barn of their farmhouse, they find an old car, bloomed with rust, hidden beneath a tarp—the retro-ambulance turned ghost-hunting mobile. In this shot, Trevor lays eyes on his new ride for the first time, originally hinted at a year ago in the movie’s teaser.

Nebulous

Legend
Let's hope it's good. I do think it will be WAY better than the 2016 reboot. But I also think they missed the window of a great third film by 10-20 years. I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am reserving judgement.

The potential for devolving into, "Honey, I Busted the Kids," is pretty high.

Nebulous

Legend
I also like to look at what directors have done in the past as a kind of gauge of their ability. I haven't seen most of what Jason Reitman has done. Looks like mostly comedy, and GB is comedy so that's a plus. What he hasn't done yet is big budget SFX tentpole films, but you got to start somewhere.

Juno and Thank You For Smoking were...good movies. Highly acclaimed, especially Juno I believe, but I wouldn't put either in my list of "watch again." And he did some Office episodes! That's another plus. Some of the others might be fantastic, I just haven't seen them.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (post-production)
2018 The Front Runner
2018 Tully
2015-2017 Casual (TV Series) (6 episodes)
  • The Hermit & the Moon (2017)
  • 99 (2017)
  • Trivial Pursuit (2016)
  • Phase 3 (2016)
  • Pilot (2015)

2016 Roast Battle (Documentary short)
2014 Men, Women & Children (directed by)
2013 Labor Day
2011 Young Adult
2009 Up in the Air
2007-2008 The Office (TV Series) (2 episodes)
  • Frame Toby (2008)
  • Local Ad (2007)
2008 Saturday Night Live (TV Series) (1 episode)
- Ashton Kutcher/Gnarls Barkley (2008) ... (film segments)
2007 Juno
2005 Thank You for Smoking
2004 Consent (Short)
2002 Uncle Sam (Documentary short)
2001 Gulp (Short)
2000 In God We Trust (Short)
1999 H@ (Short)
1998 Operation (Short)

By comparison, his dad Ivan Reitman has a long string of well remembered classics that go all the way back to the late 70s. (given the accolades of his other stuff, I'm curious about Foxy Lady and Cannibal Girls!)

1971 Foxy Lady
1973 Cannibal Girls
1979 Meatballs
1981 Stripes
1984 Ghostbusters
1986 Legal Eagles
1988 Twins
1989 Ghostbusters II
1990 Kindergarten Cop
1993 Dave
1994 Junior
1997 Fathers' Day
1998 Six Days, Seven Nights
2001 Evolution
2006 My Super Ex-Girlfriend
2011 No Strings Attached
2014 Draft Day
TBA Triplets
Summer of Love
Untitled animated Ghostbusters film

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
By comparison, his dad Ivan Reitman has a long string of well remembered classics that go all the way back to the late 70s. (given the accolades of his other stuff, I'm curious about Foxy Lady and Cannibal Girls!)

1971 Foxy Lady
1973 Cannibal Girls
1979 Meatballs
1981 Stripes
1984 Ghostbusters
Not when he did Ghostbusters, he didn’t.

Nebulous

Legend
Not when he did Ghostbusters, he didn’t.

Actually they did really, really well.

Stripes eventually grossed $85,297,000 in North America, making it the fifth most popular 1981 film at the U.S.A. and Canada box office

As for Meatballs, its $43 million in box office would be $150 million today, surpassed only by 1982's Porky's ($300 million today) and 2002's My Big Fat Greek Wedding ($336 million).

I think mainly though it got Raimis and Murray to join up again. And it showed producers that he could take a cheap movie and turn it into huge profits.

Remove ads