D&D 5E Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

JeffB

Legend
I am more interested in this than the BG one as far as adventure material goes. Wish I could have made GenCon.

Dahak

Explorer
Per Mearls on Twitter: "The characters are an iteration back, but the campaign and the core rules are up to date."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, 288 pages! I don't know why I didn't expect that, though - if it includes adventures and the playtest rules, it's gonna be big!

JeffB

Legend
I am wondering if this could be a hint at a new product format for the "basic" game whenever it arrives.

Provide a softcover rulebook, with tons of adventure material as the basic game. Imagine if you will something along the lines of the moldvay book and B1/ B2 in one hefty softcover. Maybe provide a few different versions with the same rules but different adventures..FR themed, Ravenloft themed, Dark Sun themed..Eberron themed, etc. . Then follow up with hardcover "standard/advanced" rulebooks for the hardcore, sans adventure material.

This way, the prospective new gamer sees an emphasis on a Adventure Game with all the rules needed. As opposed to a set of rules with introductory adventure.

IOW, it would be like the old Steve Jackson Sorcery/ Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks on steroids.

Last edited:

CaptainCoal

First Post
I am wondering if this could be a hint at a new product format for the "basic" game whenever it arrives.

Provide a softcover rulebook, with tons of adventure material as the basic game.

<snip>

IOW, it would be like the old Steve Jackson Sorcery/ Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks on steroids.

I wholeheartedly approve. The tough part would be selling an adventure like that to existing gamers. What about an "intro" version with basic rules and an "established" version for those that know the rules already?

CC

Remove ads