D&D 5E Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
To be fair, most of that 288 pages is available for free as the playtest packet. I'm not sure how much space the actual adventure takes up.

I know. Roughly half of the content is the playtest packet - which is probably a poorly-edited mishmash of the last two or three packets - and half is the adventure. That's still a major release.

If you think about Pathfinder - which WotC is obviously, and should be, doing - the Pathfinder Beta rules were actually sold in stores. (And, yes, I realise Mearls' professionally-produced fantasy heartbreaker is not at Beta yet.)

More importantly, with WotC trying to win back FR fans who hate, loathe and despise anything resembling the 4E iteration of FR you would think they would throw those fans a bone and let them purchase a supposedly "more traditional" FR product that is supposed to prove that WotC is now on the "right" track as far as FR is concerned.

JeffB

Legend
More importantly, with WotC trying to win back FR fans who hate, loathe and despise anything resembling the 4E iteration of FR you would think they would throw those fans a bone and let them purchase a supposedly "more traditional" FR product that is supposed to prove that WotC is now on the "right" track as far as FR is concerned.

IMO, Elminsters Guide to the FR did precisely that, although it is not a traditional gaming book. If they can produce adventures and a campaign setting in whatever format of similar quality to EGttFR, both in writing, and aesthetic, they will do well.

That said, def not a smart move IMO making Ghosts a gen con exclusive.

Last edited:

bryce0lynch

Explorer
I just reviewed this. It's actually pretty good for what it is (a railroad.) It has a decent amount of interesting detail, good NPC's GREAT treasure, and is an excellent resource for learning how to run a game and design adventures. It's WAY too verbose, but it doesn't feel padded like 3e 'pay per word' supplements do. All in all, I'd say if you have any interest in 5e you should pick it up if you can find it for, say, <$50. (And that's if your a rabid 5e fan.)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Yeah I think this was a very dumb and dickish move by WotC to make this a GenCon exclusive when there is a clear appetite in the market for new content. And you don't do a con-exclusive product that is 288 pages long. That's a major release.

I wonder if we will see this on DND Classics in short order? As it stands, my guess is that it's going to be one of the most pirated D&D products of all time.

That said, def not a smart move IMO making Ghosts a gen con exclusive.
Available now at DnDclassics.com for $17.99 USD. Link: http://www.dndclassics.com/product/123270/Ghosts-of-Dragonspear-Castle-%28D%26D-Next%29&affiliate_id=76598

Remove ads