D&D 5E Giant Weapons

Oofta

Legend
The problem with using a giant's short sword as a two-handed weapon is that the handle width is going to be and difficult to grasp. A claymore's handle may have a slightly larger diameter than a dagger, but not three times with diameter.

You might be able to shave it down to size, but that may affect the magic of the item.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Aaaaactually.......

If that frost giant is 15' tall, that axe in the picture is approx. 7-8ft long....agreed not easy. If however you take the view that a Greatsword is analogue to a traditional claymore, and a greataxe something like a danish/sparth axe, that puts length in the region of 5-5.5ft. A particularly strong individual (in D&D parlance, 20 STR puts someone stronger than an ogre), could in theory chop a foot or so off the haft and use the weapon two handed.

In theory.....

However, from the weight alone you'd want some kind of penalty I would say. If you were desperate to allow it. And if there was good reason in narrative terms.

[NB: I'm largely being contrary here. I'm just saying that verisimilitude in D&D is a really flexible thing and in a slightly crazy, Megasword style game, then having a houserule in the back pocket for crazy-size weapons isn't to worst thing in the world...]

The length isn't the problem. The mass increases proportionally to the length cubed. That's a huge (get it) increase in weight. That isn't to say I'd completely disallow it, but I'm more in favor of PC's finding creative ways to make it work.

For example: perhaps it's a magic ruby in the hilt that makes the Giant Weapon magic. The players could spent effort, or have a quest to get that ruby into a Medium sized weapon. Or perhaps it's the blade of the greatsword that is enchanted, and a nearby dwarf clan craftsman can make you a greatsword out of it, at the cost of the rest of the enchanted material.

I'm just spitballing here, but then again I'd be spitballing it in my games too.

Remove ads