• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giants in the Earth style thread - nominations for subjects

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Definitely Paksenarrion.

Doc Savage and his Amazing Five (d20 Modern)

The Avenger and his team (d20 Modern)

The Peers of Charlemagne

William Tell

Xena, Gabrielle, Autolycus, Salmoneous and Joxer

Boudicca

Matt Dillon, Festus Haggen, Miss Kitty Russell, Doc Adams, The Lone Ranger, Tonto, Paladin, Lucas "The Rifleman" McCain, The Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt, Ohiyesa "Pow Wow" Smith, Apache Kid, Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, Tell Sackett, Buffalo Bill, Billy The Kid, Annie Oakley, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Belle Starr, Kwai Chang Caine, Zorro, Butch Cassidy, The Sundance Kid and J.B. Books (Sidewinder Reloaded)

Set

First Post
The Tuatha de Dannan, as mortal heroes with kewl powers, not gods.

The characters from Raymond Feists Magician book (Tom, Pug, Jimmy the Hand, Kulgan, etc.).

Thirding Madmartigan. Plus Bav Morda, etc.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
00Machado said:
The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn characters would be cool, as would Fitz, Chade and the other Farseer characters.

No clue who these are or where they're from. It would help if the source material for suggestions was cited. I don't mind getting a glimpse of characters from books/legends/myths with which I'm unfamiliar; in fact, many of the original GITE articles inspired me to look into the source material.

By the way, why is there going to be a vote? Why don't people just post their own takes on what those characters would be like under d20/OGL rules?

the Jester

Legend
ColonelHardisson said:
No clue who these are or where they're from. It would help if the source material for suggestions was cited.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is the name of the series; author is Tad Williams.

I'm going to go along with this suggestion, as well as the characters from Willow (esp. Madmartigan!) and Zelazny's Amberites (and the Chaos characters from the second series, as well!).

I'll add Dilvish the Damned (also from Zelazny) while I'm at it.

Squire James

First Post
Quartz said:
That's easy: she starts out as a first level paladin and reaches 5th level.

I'd also like to see Hawk & Fisher from Blue Moon Rising and Beyond the Blue Moon.

Under pre-3e D&D rules, I would agree with you regarding Paks (except that I would place her closer to 7th to 9th). With current rules, though, I think there were 2 to 4 fighter levels in there somewhere. The early stuff might be explained as a "story element" indicating the gods' interest in her as a paladin rather than actual healing (there is considerable self-doubt that true healing ever happened until the third book). I'd place her at Fighter 4/ Paladin 5 at the end of the third book.

Hawk and Fisher both seem to be fighters in the 13-14 level range at the time of the book of the same name, perhaps 16-17 by the time they leave Haven. They seem to have some resistances that D&D fighters don't normally get, perhaps full-blown Spell Resistance (their resistance to transformations could simply be a super Fortitude save). Neither strike me as the type to take levels in anything but pure fighter.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Clearly a Wizard of Earthsea has fallen out of favor if I'm the only one who wants Sparrowhawk. I know the recent Earthsea books were bad, but come on, the first was a classic!

Warren Okuma

First Post
Bah! Nuff talk, let's stat!

Albert Einstein 20th Commoner
Str: 8
Dex: 10
Con: 6
IQ: 18 + 5 (level) = 23
Wis: 12
Cha: 16
Skill levels:
Profession: Physicist 23
Profession: Mathematician 23
Profession: Engineering 18
Profession: Teaching 10
Profession: Writing 10
Profession: Electrical Engineering: 10
Profession: Bureaucrat 5
KN: Religion 5
KN: Physics 23
Drive Auto: 5
Plus Various Misc. Skills.
Hit Points: 30
BAB: +10/+5 (Ol' Al can kick ass!)
Damage: 1D3-1 (But it takes forever)

Feats: Skill Focus Physics, Skill Focus Mathematician, and other skill focuses.

Helfdan

First Post
1- Agree with Phaedrus on the Gemmel heroes: Druss, Shadak, Skilganon (though they would perhaps fit best with Iron Heroes)

2- The Fellowship of the Ring

3- Captain Alatriste

4- Rodrigo Diaz of Vivar aka El Cid

5- Beowulf

Squire James

First Post
Actually, I'd stat Einstein out as an Expert (I'd say 15th level... same BAB!). A lot more skill points to work with, and he seems a bit too unusual to be a Commoner.

Now, Paul Bunyan, he's an epic-level Commoner 24, permanently stuck at about Gargantuan size (so his Strength is about 34 from a base of 10). No fighting ability that a load of Commoner levels and that Strength score wouldn't give him anyway!

Celebrim

Legend
Albert Einstein - LG 8th level Expert
Str: 6
Dex: 9
Con: 7
Int: 20
Wis: 9
Chr: 12
Hit Points: 10
Advantages: Civilized, Prodigy (Know: Engineering)
Disadvantages: Clueless, Non-Combatant
Feats: Educated (Know: Engineering, Know: Planes), Skill Focus (Know: Engineering), Skill Focus (Know Planes)
Skills:Alchemy +9, Appraise +7, Concentration +2, Diplomacy +1, Gather Information -1, Know (Engineering) +22, Know (Geography) +9, Know (History) +9, Know (Nature) +9, Know (Planes) +20, Know (Religion) +11, Perform (Violin) +3, Perform (Writing) +12, Profession (Clerk) +3, Profession (Diplomat), +4, Profession (Scribe) +10, Profession (Tutor) +4, Ride (Bicycle) +2, Sense Motive -3, Speak Language (English, French, German, Hebrew, Latin)
BAB/Grapple: +4/+2
Attack: Unarmed strike +2 melee (1d3-2 subdual)

NOTE: Certain skills translated into closest counterparts in D&D. Probably easier to stat up in D20 modern.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads