Gift fiction recommendations

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We have a couple of different holidays coming up where gifts are exchanged. And everyone is always looking for quality new novels to read. So what underappreciated diamond would you recommend?

This thread is not for the big classics, but for the gems you have come across that perhaps don't have enough love. Let's raise some visibility and get our new favorites out for others to appreciate as well.

If possible feel free to say "if you like X or Y, you'd enjoy this" so people can zero in on their particular likes; when someone sees "if you like Tim Powers and secret paranormal histories" or "like Gentleman Bastards and Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows" that is their personal indulgence it will resonate.

So, what do you recommend to the reader who's covered the major bases?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Instead of a single novel, why not a subscription to a magazine like Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine, or Asimov? That way, they get a variety of works and other articles.

Fantasy and Science Fiction

Barring that, I’d opt for an anthology book of “The Year’s Best ________ Stories” appropriate for the recipient’s tastes.

Another option would be something like an annotated edition of one of their favorite works. Even though I’ve read LotR more than once, I was once gifted an annotated edition for Christmas. It was one of the best gifts I got that year.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If they dig music the Beastie Boys book is an incredible read. For something less known, and much more tragic, but no less interesting, try Trouble Boys about The Replacements. Finally, if they want to learn about one of the best little known artists in music they can read about Nick Lowe in Cruel to be Kind.

I'd recommend them in that order.

Blue

Instead of a single novel, why not a subscription to a magazine like Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine, or Asimov? That way, they get a variety of works and other articles.
Sure, that's a great gift idea! In this thread though I'm trying to crowd source novels that haven't gotten a lot of press - there are so many unsung but fantastic novels out there, this is a chance for people to show of their finds and hopefully help inspire someone else in the same breath.

Blue

If you like teen superheroes with a lot of well written action and snark, try Sidekicks by Arthur Mayor. It's the first book in the growing Superhero Chronicles series, I think there are 9 books out. Good characterization with plenty of drama, sensible villain motives, and ever-escalating danger with well done fight scenes. Another series start in the same genre is The Indestructables by Matt Phillion.

monsmord

Adventurer
And if you dig literary takes on supers, Austin Grossman's Soon I Will Be Invincible is fun. For literary merit and social commentary, there's Minister Faust's Shrinking the Heroes (aka From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain). Neither is action-packed, but both are wry, sometimes sad, and sometimes very funny.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you like Roaring 20s Urban fantasy horror, you might like, The Diviners by Libba Bray.

If you like The Dresden Files and Sandman, you'll like The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams.

If you're done with JK Rowling, but want to read about a magic school, you'll like A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik

If you like high fantasy, low comedy, and pining romance, you'll like Paladin's Grace by T. Kingfisher

If you like talking animal books and zombies, you'll like The Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jan Buxton

If you like Weird West and Lovecraft, you'll like The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher

If you liked Who Framed Roger Rabbit, you'll like The Imaginary Corpse by Tyler Hayes

If you like Douglas Adams and David Bowie, you'll like Space Opera by Catherynne Valente

(I keep adding things as I think of them)

Last edited:

I've not read Paladin's Grace yet, but Kingfisher's Nine Goblins and Minor Mage were both incredibly charming and wholesome.

If you like high fantasy, low comedy, and pining romance, you'll like Paladin's Grace by T. Kingfisher

If you're looking to buy for a fan of tales of vengeance, dragons, and furious swordplay, I'd heartily recommend Evan Winter's The Rage of Dragons.

Remove ads