Gil Kenan to Direct Ghostbusters "Afterlife" sequel

Ryujin

Legend
Right, I think it works as a stranger things derivative, but the fan service didn't really add anything to the experience, IMO. So, not only is the movie unoriginal in theme and tone, but it doesn't do anything interesting with what came before either. It's a mediocre story, but with a good cast and execution.

If the supposed lesson here is that sticking with canon is the successful method, I'm afraid its the wrong lesson. It's just going to encourage more unoriginal sequels and attempts going forward.
It's generally the telling of the story, not the story itself, that makes a good movie. You can have a very straight forward and simple story that, told well, catches real public interest. Think about "The Fifth Element." There really isn't a lot of story there and the resolution is, "Love is the strongest force in the universe." Taken straight-up that's pablum for the mind, however, the style, imagery, and action carry that simple and bland story to some pretty big heights.

I was fine with Egon being the ghost and the callbacks to an incident in New York that no one remembers, but should. Maybe they should have tossed in a throw-away line about no one really being able to hang onto memories of real supernatural events, but it was fine as it was. Maybe show Egon in silhouette during the final battle, as he's going off to his rest? Something smaller than what we got. It's still a fine movie but let down by the last act by being too.... much.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's generally the telling of the story, not the story itself, that makes a good movie. You can have a very straight forward and simple story that, told well, catches real public interest. Think about "The Fifth Element." There really isn't a lot of story there and the resolution is, "Love is the strongest force in the universe." Taken straight-up that's pablum for the mind, however, the style, imagery, and action carry that simple and bland story to some pretty big heights.

I was fine with Egon being the ghost and the callbacks to an incident in New York that no one remembers, but should. Maybe they should have tossed in a throw-away line about no one really being able to hang onto memories of real supernatural events, but it was fine as it was. Maybe show Egon in silhouette during the final battle, as he's going off to his rest? Something smaller than what we got. It's still a fine movie but let down by the last act by being too.... much.
See, I think it was the characters of Fifth Element that made the movie. You can do wonders with a simple story in that approach. Afterlife sort of went in that direction, but the characters were a little too scripted and predictable. My issue with the film is it all felt too scripted and predictable. Its executed well, but there is nothing really memorable about it (besides too much fanservice/just like stranger things).

Ryujin

Legend
See, I think it was the characters of Fifth Element that made the movie. You can do wonders with a simple story in that approach. Afterlife sort of went in that direction, but the characters were a little too scripted and predictable. My issue with the film is it all felt too scripted and predictable. Its executed well, but there is nothing really memorable about it (besides too much fanservice/just like stranger things).
I lump the characters in with "style." Age old story, new paint job.

No such thing as too much fan service.

Ryujin

Legend
There is but depends in what counts as fan service.

Eg you expect some level of continuity.

Mostly I think it just boils down to execution.
Indeed. There is elegant, subtle fan service and there's baseball bat to the back of the cranium fan service. The first is good. The second... not so much.

GreyLord

Legend
We found the Rise of Skywalker fan, guys!

That didn't actually have that much fan-service...

Perhaps the opposite though. Fan Mockery. Not quite as much as The Last Jedi, but enough to enrage many of those who were fans previously.

(Fan mockery can appear to be Fan service, but it is different in that it takes what could be fan service and turns it on it's head to make a mockery of the original rather than respect the original).

Remove ads