Gil Kenan to Direct Ghostbusters "Afterlife" sequel

It was extremely impressive, IMHO possibly the best Ghostbusters ever.
I loved Afterlife, and still can't understand that viewpoint. It seems like you have to hardcore love the original to appreciate Afterlife.

I suppose it's possible to have a lot of nostalgia for the original but like Spielberg-esque cinematography and Stranger Things even more, and to have perhaps been more into the action sci-fi of the original than the comedy. But even then I still have to argue that it should be your "best movie featuring the Ghostbusters" not your "best Ghostbusters movie".

Whether or not you enjoyed it -- and lord, did many people actually like RoS? -- Abrams was desperate to make fans love the movie.

From what I've heard from second hand sources the trilogy ruined Star Wars movies, the way everything except the Mandalorian wrecked Star Wars on Disney+. Again second hand, but with evidence.

Personally I'm more of a Star Trek guy, been enjoying most of Canada Trek (especially Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, Prodigy), although Picard season 2 was mostly disappointing, although the final episode was good.

If it was up to me I'm take all the funding from Star Wars and redirect it towards Star Trek and Stargate/Dark Matter multiverses.

Whether or not you enjoyed it -- and lord, did many people actually like RoS? -- Abrams was desperate to make fans love the movie.
Like is a strong word, but I'll say that I mostly appreciated it when I saw it (some severe) warts and all, enjoyed the experience of going to see a Star Wars movie with my family on Christmas, and resented the hyperbolic denunciation of it online. And some of the more ham-fisted fan service had to do with trying to hit the right nostalgia notes while shooting around a dead Carrie Fisher.

That's the extent of the defense I'll mount for a movie that involved a MacGuffin to find a MacGuffin, and which was generally the worst in the series.

Zardnaar

Legend
Like is a strong word, but I'll say that I mostly appreciated it when I saw it (some severe) warts and all, enjoyed the experience of going to see a Star Wars movie with my family on Christmas, and resented the hyperbolic denunciation of it online. And some of the more ham-fisted fan service had to do with trying to hit the right nostalgia notes while shooting around a dead Carrie Fisher.

That's the extent of the defense I'll mount for a movie that involved a MacGuffin to find a MacGuffin, and which was generally the worst in the series.

Think I would maybe stick it ahead of AotC. I don't want to rewatch AotC again though to double check.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think there were definitely things in RoS that worked -- Keri Russell elevates nearly everything she ever does, for instance -- and yeah, I also liked going to see it in theaters with my kids at Christmas (ironically, our last visit to theaters before the pandemic hit!), but boy, there was so much in it that made me cringe, from the opening crawl to the next to last scene. (I was fine with Rey on Tattooine, wrapping up the nine-episode saga where it began.)

Think I would maybe stick it ahead of AotC. I don't want to rewatch AotC again though to double check.
For the record I actually enjoy Rise of Skywalker better than Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, because I like the characters better, the parts I find most annoying tend to at least go by quickly, and a part of me can uncritically just enjoy fan service. But those prequels seem like finished and complete works, whereas Rise of Skywalker feels like Abrams just lost his grasp on the project, got exasperated, and tried to slap together whatever he could however it would sort of fit and have it over and done with, and did so at the additional cost of whatever remaining shred of cohearance the sequel trilogy had as a trilogy. Which is why I think it is the worst Star Wars movie, whether or not it's my least favorite.

Zardnaar

Legend
For the record I actually enjoy Rise of Skywalker better than Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, because I like the characters better, the parts I find most annoying tend to at least go by quickly, and a part of me can uncritically just enjoy fan service. But those prequels seem like finished and complete works, whereas Rise of Skywalker feels like Abrams just lost his grasp on the project, got exasperated, and tried to slap together whatever he could however it would sort of fit and have it over and done with, and did so at the additional cost of whatever remaining shred of cohearance the sequel trilogy had as a trilogy. Which is why I think it is the worst Star Wars movie, whether or not it's my least favorite.

Point tpm and AotC were coherent.

Brain switch off few brewskies RoS maybe more fun to watch.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No such thing as too much fan service.
There absolutely is. Too much fanservice can feel like the director/writers aren't actually confident in their own work, and have to rely on the quality of something else in order for it to be "good" or entertaining. Too much of it can be cringey (like when Norman Osborn says "I'm something of a scientist myself" in No Way Home, which just felt out of place, unnatural, and forced).

There is such a thing as too much fan service. Fan service is a salt. A bit of it can enhance the movie. Too much of it can ruin it.

Remove ads