D&D 5E Give me your craziest, most GONZO PC concepts!

Mad_Jack

Legend
My warlock ATE his patron... :cool:

Harrow was a 4E eladrin raised among humans, and probably would have ended up as a garden-variety serial killer if he hadn't been driven completely psychotic by somehow getting lost and stranded in the FeyDark for two months in a teleporting mishap when he was thirteen.
Eventually chased out of his home village, he became a wandering madman drifting from town to town one step ahead of the consequences of the last time he lost his temper or his mind. Traveling through a forest one day in a blind rage, mumbling to himself, he was suddenly accosted by a buzzing green ball of light that resolved itself into a tiny Tinkerbelle-style fairy. She introduced herself as Alma-something-about-thirty-names-long-but-all-one-word, and began talking at him in a high-speed babble in a very high-pitched voice. Ten minutes later, just as Harrow was seriously considering slitting his own throat, she finally stopped and cheerfully asked him why-he-wasn't-smiling-because-smiling-makes-everything-better...
Driven into such a murderous frenzy that he was just about to begin bleeding from the eyeballs, he snatched the "damned talking mosquito" out of the air...
And stuffed her in his mouth. :erm:

Unfortunately, "Alma" was an immortal Fey, and didn't die even after being eaten and digested. Her magical essence spread throughout Harrow's body and she reformed eventually as a sort of second central nervous system inside of him. The two now exist in a symbiotic relationship - she's now a permanent part of his physical form and her magic gives him his warlock powers. Although driven mind-rippingly insane by the whole ordeal, Alma's consciousness now survives as a voice inside Harrow's head.
Harrow was already psychotic, and having a bat-**** crazy fairy inside his head certainly hasn't improved his sanity or his mood any, lol. It's quite disturbing to hear him arguing with himself in two different voices at the same time, and to see him fall to the ground flailing and foaming at the mouth as he and Alma fight over who's going to control his body at that particular moment.
Harrow's eyes are blue, but they become green when Alma is in control or he uses his powers.

I like to change up the descriptions of his powers - each one might look different each time he uses it, depending on what's more interesting in the current situation. Many of them involve a glowing green energy (sometimes Eldritch Blast is Harrow screaming wildly at an opponent, and a ghostly glowing green fairy flies screaming out of his mouth to punch them in the head like Superman crashing into a villain)... The rest of the time the visual aspects of his powers are drawn from various creepy/disturbing horror movie special effects.

He's such a fun character to play, cuz he looks a bit like David Bowie as the Goblin King from Labyrinth and can go from funny to frightening, charming to chilling at the drop of a hat...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
well-that-was-2bhsbe.jpg

Lanliss

Explorer
My warlock ATE his patron... :cool:

Harrow was a 4E eladrin raised among humans, and probably would have ended up as a garden-variety serial killer if he hadn't been driven completely psychotic by somehow getting lost and stranded in the FeyDark for two months in a teleporting mishap when he was thirteen.
Eventually chased out of his home village, he became a wandering madman drifting from town to town one step ahead of the consequences of the last time he lost his temper or his mind. Traveling through a forest one day in a blind rage, mumbling to himself, he was suddenly accosted by a buzzing green ball of light that resolved itself into a tiny Tinkerbelle-style fairy. She introduced herself as Alma-something-about-thirty-names-long-but-all-one-word, and began talking at him in a high-speed babble in a very high-pitched voice. Ten minutes later, just as Harrow was seriously considering slitting his own throat, she finally stopped and cheerfully asked him why-he-wasn't-smiling-because-smiling-makes-everything-better...
Driven into such a murderous frenzy that he was just about to begin bleeding from the eyeballs, he snatched the "damned talking mosquito" out of the air...
And stuffed her in his mouth. :erm:

Unfortunately, "Alma" was an immortal Fey, and didn't die even after being eaten and digested. Her magical essence spread throughout Harrow's body and she reformed eventually as a sort of second central nervous system inside of him. The two now exist in a symbiotic relationship - she's now a permanent part of his physical form and her magic gives him his warlock powers. Although driven mind-rippingly insane by the whole ordeal, Alma's consciousness now survives as a voice inside Harrow's head.
Harrow was already psychotic, and having a bat-**** crazy fairy inside his head certainly hasn't improved his sanity or his mood any, lol. It's quite disturbing to hear him arguing with himself in two different voices at the same time, and to see him fall to the ground flailing and foaming at the mouth as he and Alma fight over who's going to control his body at that particular moment.
Harrow's eyes are blue, but they become green when Alma is in control or he uses his powers.

I like to change up the descriptions of his powers - each one might look different each time he uses it, depending on what's more interesting in the current situation. Many of them involve a glowing green energy (sometimes Eldritch Blast is Harrow screaming wildly at an opponent, and a ghostly glowing green fairy flies screaming out of his mouth to punch them in the head like Superman crashing into a villain)... The rest of the time the visual aspects of his powers are drawn from various creepy/disturbing horror movie special effects.

He's such a fun character to play, cuz he looks a bit like David Bowie as the Goblin King from Labyrinth and can go from funny to frightening, charming to chilling at the drop of a hat...

Well, that definitely hits the top of MY list for weirdest character so far...

Igwilly

First Post
Sadly, I don't know a lot of Gonzo PCs. But I have some NPCs.
One is a 200-year old cyborg, named Leonardo da Vinci, with appearance and personality of dr. Gregory House.
The other one (in a initially 4e campaign) is a level 40 solo, 3 meters high Kobold. Super-strong and his name is Klubba. He guards the entrance to a secret world acessed by a golden barrel.

Last edited:

Igwilly

First Post
Well, talking about PCs, I remembered one character: a noble diplomat minotaur barbarian. I don't think I need to say more about him.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My GURPS: V:tM playtest character: Major Mosquito.*

He was a private detective before he was turned, killed while investigating missing persons cases at the behest of families unsatisfied with the progress of the police. He suspected a serial killer was at work, but he had no idea how right he was...or that the murderer in question was over 1000 years old. Undeath drove him mad: he went from living the TV P.I. Dream to a reality that broke him. His strength and speed were now so far beyond human, his toughness preternatural...he had been reborn as a superhero!**

And the hunger? The price for his newfound abilities, to be paid by the miscreants who preyed on the good & innocent people of Austin, drawn from their veins via his surgical steel Crime Straw!

By day, he often slept in the trunk of his black muscle car. But by night, he patrolled the streets of Austin on a carbon-fiber mountain bike with trading cards in the spokes.

Though fractured, he still remembered bits of the case that altered his reality. Some part of him now recognized vampires' existence, so he packed a repeating crossbow with handmade ash bolts. And because he hadn't fully come to terms with his own personal state, he did wear a bit of body armor. Around his waist, a utility belt that held more than just his gleaming straw...

He was a nightmare to evildoers, both mortal and undead! Major Mosquito!

* Inspired by The Tick

** in game terms, he was a Brujah who had been turned by one of the most ancient members of that clan, but he was so crazy, they would have nothing to do with him, so he fell in with the Malkavians.

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
I'm looking for something off the wall.

-Gonzo

-Non-Optimized

-Races from 5E PHB or VGTM

-Class or classes from PHB

TWF Tankish type build no armor

Multiclass Start 1 Level Barbarian main stats dex and con then fighter Battlemaster for goading, distracting, menacing strike and 3/4 levels wizard depending on several factors on build concept and rest fighter (maybe 1 more level Barb) Wizard gives you shield and absorb elements. Then the Barb also gives you some rages in tight spots to resistance piercing, bludgeoning and slashing damage twice per long rest.

The other I thought off was a max str halfling Barbarian with dual short swords; Think Tazmanian Devil

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
GURPS: Cyberpunk

Diminutive hyperhedonistic albino biker chick turned cybernetic street samurai. Had a large black vibrio-sword with red LEDs. Think 5'1" female Elric of Melnibone/Conan on a highly customized motorcycle. My pre-Ultraviolet Ultraviolet, if you will.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's not as gonzo as many of the fine examples above, but I did think of a dwarf ranger who thought he was a paladin, with his holy mount (boar animal companion) and smiting the undead (favored enemy)....

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which reminds me...

The Gnome Ranger: this mysterious masked warrior rode a pale silvery-white Giant Space Hamster named Mithril, and carried twin repeating hand crossbows loaded with silver-tipped bolts. Once rescued an unconscious PC by having Mithril carry him in his cheek pouches.

Remove ads