Give me your monster conversion request!

Sacrosanct

Legend
don't get the hit points.

Every official monster I've seen has a standard hit point formula of Xd[size]+X[CON bonus]. .

In retrospect, you're probably right. I didn't see that clearly defined anywhere so I didn't do that sort of reverse engineering, and I guess I'll go back to my original disclaimer. I.e., I'm sure not everything is perfect, but I went with what felt right. For something like that, it's easy enough to adjust if you want. For things like Lancelot pointed out, those needed a rewrite I felt.

Hope that makes sense.

[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION], what software are you using for layout there? Have you made yourself an MS Word template or something similar?

I use InDesign. I don't really have a template, per se. I just use an existing monster and replace the stats with the new ones, rather than re type everything all over again.

Unfortunately I'm traveling all week and don't have access to that computer to do any more.

Sacrosanct

Legend
So I'm back to my home PC :) That means a new monster. And that means I just had to do this famous (or rather infamous) Flail Snail!

flailsnail.jpg

Sacrosanct

Legend
OK one more, because I really wanted to use this in my own megadungeon, and the darkmantle was too low of a CR and the cloaker was too high. I wanted something in the middle.

lurker above.jpg

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Here are a few you can easily write up in your format if you'd like. All from the Forgotten Realms. They borrow stat blocks from other monsters, and the major differences are in the descriptions.

Banedead
As ghast with the following changes.
No stench.
Ability Drain (Dexterity). Instead of paralysis, a successful strike with a claw attack reduces the target’s Dexterity score by 1d4. The target is paralyzed if this reduces their Dexterity to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest.

Baneguard
As skeleton with the following additions:
Innate Spellcasting. The baneguard’s innate spell casting ability is Charisma (Spell save 12). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
3/day: magic missile
1/day: blink. CR: 2

Direguard
As skeleton with the following additions:
Spectral Armor. The skeleton wears black, shadowy, semitransparent armor so that its bones show through, and red flames burn in their eye sockets. +1 AC and it has the ability to see invisible objects and creatures.
Innate Spellcasting. The baneguard’s innate spell casting ability is Charisma (Spell save 12). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
3/day: magic missile
1/day: blink.
CR: 2

Dread Warrior
As wight, except no life drain. (It's basically the skeleton or undead of a 4th level fighter).

Gulguthydra (one of my favorites)
As hydra plus the addition of two Otyugh-like tentacles.
It does not regrow heads.
It’s covered in a thick coating of greasy slime and excrement.
They are not subtle, the move straight toward what looks most edible, grab it, slam it to stun it, then eat it. Exposed skin, fur, or leather armor attracts its attention. Food encased in metal armor is its second preference.
Stench. Any creature that starts its turn within 80 feet of the gulguthydra must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the gulguthydra’s stench for 24 hours.
Multiattack. The gulguthydra makes two tentacle attacks and five bite attacks.
Bite. In addition to the normal bite damage, the creature must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be infected with a disease. If the creature fails its Death saving throw to recover the disease, its maximum hit points are reduced by 5 (1d10). The target is dying if the disease reduces its hit points to 0. The reduction in maximum hit points lasts until the disease is cured, unless the creature is reduced to a maximum hit points of 0 and dying. If the creature recovers, its maximum hit points is permanently reduced by 1d10.
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft, one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) piercing damage. If the target is Medium or smaller, it is grappled (escape DC 13) and restrained until the grapple ends. The gulguthydra has two tentacles, each or which can grapple one target.
Tentacle Slam. The gulguthydra slams creatures grappled by it into each other or a solid surface. Each creature must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or take 10 (2d6+3) bludgoning damage and be stunned until the end of the gulguthydra’s next turn. On a successful save, the target takes half the bludgeoning damage and isn’t stunned.

Ilbrandlin
As Red Dragon wyrmling except:
No wings or flight.
Pin. An ibrandlin can jump and land on opponents, using its whole body to attack. A pin attack is only effective against Medium-sized or smaller creatures. It can pin as many creatures as will fit under its body (a 10-ft by 30-ft area). Targets must roll a DC 20 Dexterity save or be pinned under the Ilbrandlin. Creatures pinned take 4d6 bludgeoning damage per round until they escape with a DC 20 Strength check. The Ilbrandlin can choose not to inflict this damage.

Unicorn, Black
As unicorn except it’s chaotic evil, coal black, a spiraled silver horn, and burning red eyes.
Instead of Healing Touch it inflicts wounds (3/day).

I also needed this one for Steading of the Hill Giant Chief:
Dire Bear
Large beast, unaligned
Armor Class: 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 114 (12d10 + 48)
Speed: 40
STR 21 (+5) DEX 12 (+1) CON 18 (+4) INT 2 (-4) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 7 (-2)
Skills: Perception +3
Senses: Passive Perception 13
Languages: -
Challenge: 7
Keen Smell. The dire bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
Maul. If the dire bear hits with both its bite and claw attack, the target is grappled. On subsequent rounds if the target remains grappled, the target takes 41 (4d10 + 20) bludgeoning damage.
Actions
Multiattack. The dire bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:15 (1d10 + 10) piercing damage
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 19 (2d8 +10) slashing damage

Ilbranteloth

The_Gneech

Explorer
Hit me with a tentamort!

Well, no, don't actually do that. I mean, my conversion request is for a tentamort.

Being hit with a tentamort would probably be painful. And disturbing.

-The Gneech :cool:

Remove ads