D&D 1E Giving an AD&D feel to 5e

dmhelp

Explorer
I really prefer the 5e proficiency bonus/bounded accuracy over ad&d. But I miss the feel of ad&d. I was thinking the following changes would give more of an ad&d feel to 5th edition:
--- modified rules
So after reading all of the feedback I'm thinking:
1. Roll 4d6s (reroll until >= 75 total) and apply standard racial modifiers, max 18 abilities (instead of 20)

2. No Artificers/Sorcerers/Warlocks (Wizards may also pick from Sorcerer or Warlock subclasses); no feats; no standard multiclassing

3. The first 4 ASIs gained instead give a new saving throw proficiency (with ASIs after this being ignored): Fighters & Rogues will have all saves at level 12, Monks at level 14, a Fighter/Rogue at level 10, and other classes at level 16

4. AD&D ("gestalt") multiclassing allowed (non-Human PHB races only) with two classes from two separate groups: Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger, Cleric/Druid, Rogue, & Wizard (e.g. Fighter/Wizard is ok, but Barbarian/Fighter is not; Bards/Monks/Paladins may not multiclass)

5. After level 10 only gain 1 hp/level with no con mod, or 3 hp/level if Barbarian/Fighter/Monk/Paladin/Ranger/Rogue
---
Any thoughts from people that like 1e and 5e?

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Point 1 will probably go bad unless you redo the point where +1/-1kicks in. Most attribs back in 2e did that at 6 &15. Hacing it at 8 &12 means that every attrib matters to something even if that something is an untrained skill linked to a dump stat

teitan

Legend
Point 1 will probably go bad unless you redo the point where +1/-1kicks in. Most attribs back in 2e did that at 6 &15. Hacing it at 8 &12 means that every attrib matters to something even if that something is an untrained skill linked to a dump stat
I don’t follow. 4D6 is fine for AD&D style. The math is different in 5e and more closely emulates 1e/2e aside from the bucket of hit points issue, but reinstating a cap would go a long way towards not only speeding the game up a bit but also bring the hit point math in line with bounded accuracy.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don’t follow. 4D6 is fine for AD&D style. The math is different in 5e and more closely emulates 1e/2e aside from the bucket of hit points issue, but reinstating a cap would go a long way towards not only speeding the game up a bit but also bring the hit point math in line with bounded accuracy.
I thought you were talking about the old stat generation over the standard array but it sounds like you might be talking about something else. If not, you could give ad&d characters the 15/14/13/12/10/8 standard array & it still wouldn't put the kind of pressure to perfectly arrange their stats that you see in 3.x 4e & 5e because it literally would have close to zero mechanical impact where most of them went. Here's the table for Constitution from ad&d as an example that applied to everyone
1617276267972.png

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Completely strip out the xp for defeating monsters and replace with xp for gp obtained. Remove or reduce any healing at a short rest. Combat should be a thing to be avoided or if unavoidable, fought in the most efficient way possible. Minimize risk, maximize reward.

dmhelp

Explorer
I think rolling for stats was the biggest way to different characters in ad&d since feats weren’t there to differentiate characters. So I think removing ASIs helps keep your starting stats distinctive. By replacing them with save proficiencies I think you can recreate the feel of tough saves at high level.

5e players are very lego my eggo about taking things away which is why I was looking for a replacement for rogue/fighter extras.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases