D&D 5E Giving Classes an Additional Saving Throw? (+)

Zardnaar

Legend
Each class eh... From the start. I would give some 2 more and others none

Barbarian (STR / CON) with DEX or WIS from Feral Instinct
Bard (DEX / CHA)
Cleric (WIS / CHA)
Druid (INT / WIS)
Fighter (STR / CON) with DEX or WIS from Combat Prowess
Monk (STR / DEX) with CON from Purity of body and ALL from Diamond Body
Paladin (WIS / CHA)
Ranger (STR / DEX) with CON or WIS from Natural Terrain
Rogue (DEX / INT) with STR or CHA from Scoundrel and WIS from Slippery Mind
Sorcerer (CON / CHA)
Warlock (WIS / CHA)
Wizard (INT / WIS)

If i had to do one of each then @DeviousQuail has alist that would look like mine.

Primary caster get no more saves, half casters maybe one no casters two or more saves.

Dausuul

Legend
Out of curiosity, if you were to give each class proficiency in one more saving throw, what save would you give each class? Why would you give the class that save?

Below are the classes from the PHB and their current saving throws:

Barbarian (STR / CON)
Bard (DEX / CHA)
Cleric (WIS / CHA)
Druid (INT / WIS)
Fighter (STR / CON)
Monk (STR / DEX)
Paladin (WIS / CHA)
Ranger (STR / DEX)
Rogue (DEX / INT)
Sorcerer (CON / CHA)
Warlock (WIS / CHA)
Wizard (INT / WIS)

Thanks for any input! Please note the premise of this thread is that you would, in fact, give out another saving throw proficiency! ;)

Barbarian, fighter, sorcerer, wizard: +Dex
Bard, monk, ranger, rogue: +Wis
Cleric, druid, paladin, warlock: +Con

(Note that this would mean several other caster classes stepping on a key strength of the sorcerer--namely, sorcerers are the only caster class that gets Con save proficiency out of the box, which is vital for concentration. Sorcerers would need an adjustment to compensate. But they needed a substantial buff anyway.)

NotAYakk

Legend
All of this "primary casters get X, non get Y" make me think you are playing without any multiclassing.

Which is great and all, but useless for me.

And if you back load it, adding a save or two at T3/4 isn't going to make that much of a difference between primary casters and not. I am in favour of boosted durability in T3/T4 for non-casters, but it really seems like a small thing.

Getting resilient was already half a feat, and it wasn't all that popular, and it was definitely gotten after you maxed your primary attribute. So we are talking about something worth substantially less than +0.5 to your attacks/save DCs.

And nobody has said "give non-primary casters +1 to hit" as a way to fix them, yet based off of how people build their PCs, it would be more powerful than adding a save.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This is offered in the spirit of (+). Just offering an interesting take on the main idea, which I am also for as-is.

I like the idea of an additional saves, but what if we make it be part of progression? We already have power bump at (class) levels 5 and 11, maybe at character level 7 everyone gets an additional save, and then at 15th everyone gets expertise on an existing save.

For which save to add, I'd probably have a default 3rd save for each class, but leverage the opportunity offered by doing this as a level beyond one that the character could also pick a save they don't have from a multiclass. So a barbarian/rogue (Hi Conan!) would have access to pick from the 3rd the barbarian class offers (Dex? Wis?) as well as Dex & Int from rogue. Which is a slight bonus to multiclasses that don't have a lot of overlap, but boosting something that's otherwise weak doesn't seem too bad.

I'd echo the thought to align whatever the incremental save is with the minimum attributes for multiclassing..

or..maybe the only classes to get the bonus save are the ones that have the additional attribute requirement?

Another way to do this be might be to award half proficiency in two additional saves. Then way you have a set of major and minor saves?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Looking at high level play, I think non-proficient saving throws might be a bit of a sore spot. I have thought about adding half-proficiency to all non-proficient saving throws for all classes at 11th level. That would be +2 to start, and rise to +3 at 17th level. My high-level play is very limited, so I am not sure if this is a good solution (or if it's even the problem I think it might be).

What do most folks see for average PC saving throw bonuses at levels 11+?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
All of this "primary casters get X, non get Y" make me think you are playing without any multiclassing.

Which is great and all, but useless for me.

And if you back load it, adding a save or two at T3/4 isn't going to make that much of a difference between primary casters and not. I am in favour of boosted durability in T3/T4 for non-casters, but it really seems like a small thing.

Getting resilient was already half a feat, and it wasn't all that popular, and it was definitely gotten after you maxed your primary attribute. So we are talking about something worth substantially less than +0.5 to your attacks/save DCs.

And nobody has said "give non-primary casters +1 to hit" as a way to fix them, yet based off of how people build their PCs, it would be more powerful than adding a save.
To be clear, at least for me in the OP, every class would get another save, not just some of them. I know some posters have voiced that option, but it has no interest to me.

Clint_L

Hero
Barbarian (STR / CON)+DEX
Bard (DEX / CHA)+INT
Cleric (WIS / CHA)+CON
Druid (INT / WIS)+CON
Fighter (STR / CON)+DEX
Monk (STR / DEX)+WIS
Paladin (WIS / CHA)+STR
Ranger (STR / DEX)+WIS
Rogue (DEX / INT)+CHAR
Sorcerer (CON / CHA)+INT
Warlock (WIS / CHA)+CON
Wizard (INT / WIS)+DEX

Also, it particularly bugs me that Monks are STR+DEX rather than DEX+WIS. Strength is practically a dump stat for monks.

Remove ads