Giving feats at every level.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
It's not the fighter you should be worried about from a balance perspective; it's the rogue and, to a lesser degree, the monk.

The no-magic rule essentially negates a lot of the rogue's weaknesses. Obscuring mist and displacement, fortification armor, etc to provide concealment and negate sneak attack. Not around. Constructs and undead who're immune to sneak attacks? None of the first and not many of the second. ACs you have trouble hitting on your enemies--not anymore (unless you replace the magical means of boosting AC). Not enough feats to be good at combat. More coming your way. Your 10d6 sneak attack damage is only more or less equal to the fighter's power attack for 5, +5 holy flaming screaming corrosive greatsword wielded with the strength of a giant [+6]. The fighter doesn't have the sword or the strength anymore. But you've still got 10d6 sneak attack damage.

Monks do pretty well in this too assuming they get to keep most of their special abilities. 20th level's a long way off, but DR 20/+1 is really good (as opposed to useless) if no-one has a magic weapon (instead of everyone having one). Similarly d20 for unarmed damage is slightly inferior to the average damage of a +5 greatsword--and dramatically inferior to a +1 [+5 with GMW] Holy Flaming Corrosive Screaming Greatsword of Speed. But if the fighter doesn't get a +5 greatsword then d20 unarmed damage is comparitavely much much better.

Albert_Fish said:
well, how about fighter only feats?.....the problem is i dont want fighters to become the magic users of a low magic world...able to destroy dragons with one hit, dealing tons of damage ot lots of people in a small area, etc.

Albert_Fish

First Post
ok how about this feat progression ( above and beyond normal class aquistion of feats)
Fighter 1 feat/ 2 levels
Ranger 1/1 (or 1/2 if using Monte's Ranger)
Paladin1/2
Monk1/3
Bard1/2
Rogue1/3
Barbarian1/1
Adept 1/1

maransreth

Explorer
I came up with an idea about a year or so ago now where all classes would receive some more feats. I thought that a few more feats would improve the quality of the classes and also I just wanted more feats to play with as there were too many choices!

I came up with the following: All classes receive bonus feats at levels 1, 3, 5 and 7. Each class gets a small pool of feats to choose from and the pool differs per class. Fighter will still get bonus fighter feats, but there bonus fighter feats would be reduced in number and most of the taken out feats would be put into this other pool. It would make the fighter more powerful as they get bonus feats at levels 1, 2. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 but all the other classes are getting feats as well.

Feats for a class to choose from would vary but would be thinks like: Improved Init for rogues, Dodge for all classes, Extra Bardic Music for bards, etc.

This way lower level characters would get a better chance of surviving with more feats to choose from.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Now there's really no point in playing a fighter.

If you play a barbarian or a ranger, you get 20 feats by level 20 (1 feat/level) plus abilities like Rage, Ambidex/TWF, Track, etc.
If you play a fighter, you get 20 feats by level 21 (1 feat/2 levels +11 bonus feats normally gained over 20 levels).

Paladins and Bards will be very special because of their access to healing in a magic limited world but they will be even less effective combatants than they usually are relative to fighters, rangers, and barbarians since those classes will have twice as many feats as any given paladin or bard.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more positive to contribute but I don't have a lot of experience with low to no magic games. What experience I do have suggests that class defense bonusses, wound points/vitality points, and using greater masterwork and special materials to imitate magic (to a certain extent) would be a better way to rebalance character classes than giving extra feats.

Albert_Fish said:
ok how about this feat progression ( above and beyond normal class aquistion of feats)
Fighter 1 feat/ 2 levels
Ranger 1/1 (or 1/2 if using Monte's Ranger)
Paladin1/2
Monk1/3
Bard1/2
Rogue1/3
Barbarian1/1
Adept 1/1

Remove ads