Gleemax = Enworld

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Slife said:
All I can say is it anagrams to "Exam Gel"
Or "Leg Exam." What exactly are they trying to do again? ;)

thedungeondelver said:
Quick, somebody get Fred Pohl on this, pronto. Or get an Oujia board and get Robert Heinlein on it.

"Suggested Reading:

STONED SPACE-WANDERERS by ROBERT A. HEINLEIN
THE GLEEMAX CONSORTIUM by FREDERICK POHL"
Couldn't find the Gleemax book anywhere. Not at Amazon.com or Powells.com (or on Pohl's Bibliography). Link? What's it about?

BlackMoria

First Post
In any case, according to the big interview, Gleemax is not the DI and isn't particularly being aimed at D&D players. This is a Magic/CCG/other not-D&D games portal.

Thank the gods for that, because if this was the inital showing of the DI, I say that we nuke it from orbit.... ;)

jrients

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
In any case, according to the big interview, Gleemax is not the DI and isn't particularly being aimed at D&D players. This is a Magic/CCG/other not-D&D games portal.

So we D&D players aren't "hardcore gamers" or "strategy, hobby and tabletop gamers"? Because that's who the press release says is their target audience. Heck, they mention D&D by name twice in that release. "Wizards of the Coast (WotC) will now provide gamers with a centralized destination online to get everything they want or need." except for everything they're putting in the Digital Initiative?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I don't think EnWorld has to worry... afterall with a name like Gleemax, you can tell that Wizards wants to market to children and preteens... now if thats not that where target audience is, then Wizards marketing crew needs to stop sniffing glue.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
jrients said:
So we D&D players aren't "hardcore gamers" or "strategy, hobby and tabletop gamers"? Because that's who the press release says is their target audience. Heck, they mention D&D by name twice in that release. "Wizards of the Coast (WotC) will now provide gamers with a centralized destination online to get everything they want or need." except for everything they're putting in the Digital Initiative?
Read the interview. They're not targetting D&D players, whatever the release might say.

Gleemax (which isn't a marketing created term, it's a wacky MTG in-joke, which is another sign of who the audience is) is for Magic players and online games to compliment it, like the goblin game (which looks fun, frankly).

Dav

First Post
sjmiller said:
But Mike, Google was actually a word (a mathmatic term to be picky) before it was a search engine. Where did this gleemax thing come from? Sounds like someone who misunderstood one too many marketing class came up with this name. As far as names go, I will say again that Gleemax sure sounds like Funmin to me.
Actually, "Google" isn't a word, even a mathematical one. You're thinking of "googol," which is 10^100. Supposedly the founders of "Google" meant to use "googol," but misspelled it. That doesn't say much for their spelling skills.

GreatLemur

Explorer
sjmiller said:
But Mike, Google was actually a word (a mathmatic term to be picky) before it was a search engine. Where did this gleemax thing come from? Sounds like someone who misunderstood one too many marketing class came up with this name. As far as names go, I will say again that Gleemax sure sounds like Funmin to me.
It's not a word, certainly, but I think his point was that the name did exist before this particular usage, as some kind of WotC in-joke. Which I'd say probably makes the list of people who recognize the name a lot smaller than the list of folks who know what a google is, but the point stands, sort of. It wasn't something a clueless marketing creature wrote on a whiteboard in front of the WotC execs, presumably.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Mercule said:
"Wii" is still a stupid name..

I think Wii is actually a cleaver name since it causes someone to wonder if its means something beyond "weeeeeeee!" or "we." You got to love the way that those hiveminded corporate Japanese marketing people think.... maybe WoTC should borrow some and they will come up wityh a bettername then gleemax.

Remove ads