• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gleemax = Enworld

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I don't normally don't take the role of doomsayer, but...

So here I am reading over the press release that details WotC's new Gleemax doohicky and I'm thinking to myself...they're putting themselves into direct competition with Enworld. All of the features described in the press release, as well as a quick tour of the site seem to make it out to be everything that enworld already is.

The expressed intent within the press release even states that they want to consolidate the online gamer community.

This can't be good for enworld, can it?

Kaodi

Hero
I think you underestimate the cohesion of this community. EN World has a lot of history and comraderie, which is something some new-fangled doohickey can't just up and replace.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think so - WotC's boards have always been larger than EN World's community. That has a big impact on their nature and flavor. There are always going to be folks who don't like that nature and flavor, and they'll come to En World and the other 3rd party sites for some of their contact and interaction.

Hm. Maybe they'll ask Morrus to be on the "Gleemax Advisory Board". I am sure he could GAB with the best of them :)

There are a lot of gaming messageboards on the internet. Just because a new one pops up doesn't mean that the old ones suddenly die (although I do find it interesting that their stated purpose seems to supercede WOTC's current boards as well... are they discontinuing those?).

Personally, I visit ENworld instead of WOTC's boards, RPGnet and etc. because I know the members, agree with how ENworld is moderated and the rules as posted, etc. I'm not going to leave unless ENworld drastically changes (which I hope doesn't happen). :)

That said, yet another Wizard's board couldn't matter any less to me.

And I'm sure that I'm not alone.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Since Gleemax is still a WotC site, I wouldn't consider it quite the same as EN World.

One more gaming website is unlikely to have much of an impact.

Heh. Stupid name, and yet another doomed attempt to 'get down' with what the kids R doing these days. They'd be far better off working within the confines of MySpace than trying to create another on-line hangout. Setting out to create 'cool' generally fails, especially when you're trying to deliberately recreate the spontaneous success someone else had.

ENWorld has nothing to PH3@r. I mean, fear.

Remove ads