• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gleemax is Dead

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Well, instead of gloating over the end of a poorly implemented idea, I think I'll congratulate Wizard's for being smart enough to cut their losses and refocus their efforts instead of "staying the course" on a dead-end project.

Henrix

Explorer
Glad to see that Wizards are concentrating on other things than Gleemax. It seemed to lack direction, and the programming was lacking, as well.

Also what is meant by core DnD books? No more FR drizzt-a-thon novels etc. Or is FR, Eberron and then whatever comes next core enough for some love?

As I understand it, FR, Eberron, and (presumably) any major D&D settings to be released or rereleased in the future make up D&D's "core fiction," and will continue to be published.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Shades of Grey, which was to be published under the Discoveries line, I can try to sell elsewhere, since it was an entirely original novel. (It was, in fact, to be my first totally non-game-related fiction publication, so I'm especially bummed about its cancellation.) But of course, being able to try to sell it is no guarantee of success.
I hope you get it out - I was looking forward to grab some of your work. :erm:

About Gleemax: I'm not surprised... well, it was very forced, the entire concept.

Cheers, LT.

Can you say what line it was part of? I wasn't aware that WOTC had anything that wasn't D&D or Magic or the Discoveries imprint.

While I think I'm allowed to say, I'm not 100% sure, so I'm going to hold off just a bit longer. I'll let you know as soon as I'm certain I can.

Have you been paid for it? Presumably they've fulfilled their contractual obligations?

I know, I know, you were just venting, not asking for legal advice! :)

Yep, payment was made, so at least that's something. I'm afraid it doesn't do much more than take the edge off the frustration and disappointment, though. :(

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hold no malice toward any of the people I worked with, and I'm still willing, even eager, to do future novel work for WotC. This whole this was just a major blow.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those funny badges.

I try not to let them distract me. Besides, is the whole point of having a fan site that you can express your actual opinion without having to put it through the corporate filters, which are in place to prevent bad PR and revenue loss?

SavageRobby

First Post
Ari, that sucks. Truly. :(

As for Gleemax, meh. Good riddance to bad trash. If I was someone who was looking forward to the DDI, I would be worried that the same resources that made Gleemax so, uh, cancelable will be transitioned to the DDI. Not encouraging. (But hey, all your dungeons can be ugly green!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads