• Rogue

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Cleric

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • No one; other answer

Votes: 25 20.5%

Oofta

Legend
What I meant was that most foes don't need a coup de grace. You take them to 0 hp, they're dead. Whether the BBEG should know that the PCs work differently will vary from table to table.

Ah, I see said the blind man. In my games the rules work the same for PC and NPC alike, it's just that I don't track death saves for the bad guys because most of the time it's not worth it. It's explained that important NPCs may get death saves or under certain circumstances ... somewhere. Probably in the DMG that nobody reads.

MarkB

Legend
Ah, I see said the blind man. In my games the rules work the same for PC and NPC alike, it's just that I don't track death saves for the bad guys because most of the time it's not worth it. It's explained that important NPCs may get death saves or under certain circumstances ... somewhere. Probably in the DMG that nobody reads.
A very reasonable approach.

Quartz

Hero
You are the GM. Who does the BBEG attack? Why? What then?

I'm 6 pages late but if I can be dropped the next round then I'm going to try to escape. Unless I'm a sacrificial clone or simulacrum of the BBEG, of course. :) I'll use my Lair Action first, then hopefully this will trigger use of a Legendary Action, then I use my Action and Bonus Action.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
While I will only track death saves for important NPCs (with "importance" varying depending on context, not just named folks), I will usually will make some kind of roll (usually 4 out of 20) to see if an NPC has died or stabilized if the PCs bother to check after the battle is over (sometimes they want to revive someone).

Reynard

Legend
I'm 6 pages late but if I can be dropped the next round then I'm going to try to escape. Unless I'm a sacrificial clone or simulacrum of the BBEG, of course. :) I'll use my Lair Action first, then hopefully this will trigger use of a Legendary Action, then I use my Action and Bonus Action.
A villain with access to lair actions and legendary actions/resistances would certainly change the calculus.

Quartz

Hero
A villain with access to lair actions and legendary actions/resistances would certainly change the calculus.

This is the BBEG! Of course they have at least the first two if not all three. BTW I forgot that the BBEG will Action Surge for a second full Action of movement. (Action Surge by itself is a superb escape power for Fighters.)

And let's not forget that the BBEG's big attack has a save. Anyone can roll a 20.

Reynard

Legend
This is the BBEG! Of course they have at least the first two if not all three. BTW I forgot that the BBEG will Action Surge for a second full Action of movement. (Action Surge by itself is a superb escape power for Fighters.)

And let's not forget that the BBEG's big attack has a save. Anyone can roll a 20.
I mean, sure, posit whatever scenario you want, but none of that was in the OP. For a reason, even.

Remove ads