GMF members creations thread

Alright, anyone who has something they have made that they would like to share, post it. If you have a magic item or new creature, show it off to all the other members, and see if anyone else can use it in future acts of evil... :uhoh:

Last edited:

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
I is not finished with the flava for teh couatii..... Arrrg. I don't even have the paper with their stats on it lol

so as I get it I'll post them...

Nightcloak

First Post
I've got some stuff comming as well (for this thread and the Undermountain thread). I just need to catch up an RL first after some of the big posts I put out last week (those things eat up the extra time).

MarkCsigs

First Post
Okay, well this is a magic item I introduced in my current campaign that's really mostly for flavor, but it became an interesting and central item to the party. It's more story than statistics, but I hope you find it interesting.

Back when they were third or fourth level, the party defeated a small band of ogre raiders. They cast detect magic on the stash, "just in case" and were surprised to come up with one item ... a pewter mug. The mug had three markings on it; a rune for the sea, a rune indicating a bird above that, and a rune for the guiding star above that. An identify spell told them that a simple toast to the Goddess of Vice would fill the mug with ale. And it was the finest ale they'd ever tasted!! And it worked over and over and over again. It seemed bottomless!

They used the mug frequently. For their own use and to help win over friends (which worked quite well). There was even talk of opening their own tavern with the mug acting as their sole source of ale ...

Ah, but nothing is ever that simple, is it?

Flash back almost 300 years ago. The Soaring Gull Tavern (on the opposite side of the kingdom from where the players are now) has been beset by pirates!! The owner's wife and son have been kidnapped and Ol'Shaky Bones himself is loading barrells of the finest ale in the lands onto his dread ship. In steps Roderigo, one of the swashbuckling heroes known as the Sea Swords! He single handedly rescues the woman and child, and with the aid of some of his commrades slew or drove off the offending pirates!

Caliphus, the owner of the famous tavern is eternally grateful, but Roderigo eschews any monetary reward. "Just save a glass or two of that fine ale for me." Well, Caliphus does one better and has a unique and special magic item created just for Roderigo ... it's a pewter mug with the symbol of the Sea Swords (the sea and guiding star) as well as the symbol of the Soaring Gull Tavern ... and anytime he toasts to the Goddess of Ale, a full draught is instantly teleported from one of the kegs in the basement straight into his cup!

Back to the present ... the Soaring Gull tavern has changed ownership many times over, and the tale of Caliphus and Roderigo is long lost. The mug itself has changed hands several times over and for generations nobody has even realized that it was anything more than an old and battered mug.

But now suddenly gallons of ale are disappearing from the Soaring Gull Tavern! The owners make light of it at first, telling tales of old brewmeisters come back as ghosts to sample the product to make sure it's as good as ever ... but after they begin finding cask after cask of empty ale it becomes a more and more of a problem! All kinds of guards and wards are set up but to no avail ... the thieves remain unchallenged!

Finally some divination magic reveals that the ale is being teleported far away ... and to a certain party of now (somewhat) famous adventurers!

Well after the winter thaw, the inevitable confrontation took place! The party handled it graciously, and offered a generous sum for the ale consumed. At first the new owners suggested the mug should be returned ... but when they began to see how famous and popular these advernturers were here in the affluent eastern side of the kingdom they came up with a different offer ...

Now the party has a tab at this tavern hundreds of miles from their home base ... but the rates are better than normal patrons. Why? Because every time they offer up a drink they make sure to tell everyone in earshot how much they love the Soaring Gull Tavern and how it's got the finest ale in all the land! And how they love to visit there every time they're out in the western part of the kingdom ...

Yup, they're the first adventurers (in my world, anyway) with an endorsement contract. ;)

-- Mark C'sigs

MarkCsigs said:
Yup, they're the first adventurers (in my world, anyway) with an endorsement contract. ;)

-- Mark C'sigs
Lol, this is great! This is also what I want on this thread, interesting creations and the history of how they effected your campaign. Or even if they didn't effect it, just so long as they're interesting.

Y.O.Morales

First Post
Okay. I'll keep posting some spells for a Runemaster PrC I was designing years ago during 3E, but never came to its conclusion. Disclaimer: I dont know and dont care of similar spells have appeared in published supplements; nobody cant own them all.

Here's the first one:

Indestructible Script
Abjuration
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: 250 words (one page)/level
Duration: One week/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell makes both mundane and magical writings waterproof, fireproof, and resistant to any other non-magical effect that would erase or destroy the script. It also protects against erase spells, adding a +20 to the DC for the needed caster level check. Indestructible script works on other text-based spells like explosive runes, glyph of warding, arcane mark, sigils, etc.
Material Components: A pinch of silver dust worth 50 gp.

Last edited:

Nightcloak

First Post
Back during my now defunct Ancient World Campaign. I thought it would be really cool to adapt the socketed item/gem concept from Diablo II to D&D. Thus, the following was born. I kept the history intact due to BoDs request. If this is to much text I can remove it and tone it down in the future (I drew a lot of inspiration from the old Ed Greenwood articles in dragon back in 1E).

Last edited:

Nightcloak

First Post
Socket Magic Items

During the second age of the Ancient World the elven nation of Sylvystaar worked with the gnomes of Silverwood and Rockwood to create a new magic item. The elves knew that a great war would come and the Titans to the east with the giants and their hordes to the north would eventually crush them. They wanted versatility for the vast hordes they would have to face. The prospect of magical powers and summoned outsiders just added to the elves concern.

Versatility. Something new. How do you "Engineer" magic?

The gnomes were consulted and their best wizards, sorcerers, alchemists, and engineers journeyed to Syl-Mar. The gnomes worked with the elves for years at Syl-Mar with various results (Faeditoas, elvish for 'hail of pink bubbles', is an annual celebration in Syl-Mar on the 6th day of the Vine that commemorates one of the more 'glorious' failures). Finally, a new class of magic items was born. The new magic items came in two parts, a standard item with a socket for gems to fit into and the gems themselves. The 'standard item' was an enchanted weapon, shield, amulet, or bracer. The gems would carry a special power that it would give to the item it was 'locked' into. When the special power provided by the gem was no longer useful, a magic word would release the gem. The user could then lock another gem with a more useful ability into the item. Gnomes and elves were equally impressed and creation of these items began.

The use of socket items during the Titan War is documented in the history books and the defence of Sylvystaar, Silverwood, and Rockwood will not be repeated. However, it is important to note that they were successful and the new items did not go unnoticed. Soon, socketed magic items appeared in Aleraek, Scorlun, Lokimstrom, Silver Spires, Adreran, and the Cedonian Empire. However, the mages of these regions could not discover the one secret of the elven and gnomish originals - the encoded magic word to release a locked gem. The burst of copies was short lived. The merchant princes of Adreran were dissatisfied with 'cheap copies'. The noble houses of Scorlun wanted real weapons with 'artistic' character to hang their dynasties on. As all things magical, new fads provided entertainment to the tower barons of Silver Spires. Finally, as all things in Cedonia, their culture vanished when Ru invaded during the first century of the current era. A few still practice socket creation in Aleraek and Lokimstrom to this day.

The Elves of Sylvystaar stopped their creation of original socket items in the sixth century after the necromancers of Ru were completely driven from Cedonia. It is assumed that the destruction of so much woodland during the battles with Ru and the following shrinking of Sylvystaar into smaller [communities] caused a total refocus of the elves living in the region. Some sages speculate that the secrets were lost, but that seems unlikely since a few elven houses in the Silver Wood and Rockwood still create originals.

The gems come with various enchantments; each is listed with the special power it provides to the weapon, shield, or bracer it is 'locked' into. For ease, a listing of modifiers is provided. The modifiers are bonuses and follow the format used in the DM's guide (page 180 and 184). A socket item itself has a market modifier of +1. If it can release it's gem is has an additional market modifier of + l (or +2 total). A gem can be bought or sold by using it's modifier as abase and consulting the charts in the DM's Guide. A socket item that is already assembled and does NOT release its gem is considered complete and there is no market modifier for it beyond the items cost plus the gems modifier.

Example: A plus one long sword normally costs 2,000 GPs (plus the masterwork sword), a socket long sword would cost 8,000 GPs and one that has the power to release it's own gem is 18,000 GPs. If you buy an enchanted black agate it would cost you 2,000 GPs. If the black agate was already in the sword and this sword cannot unlock its gem it would cost 8,000 GPs (like a normal enchanted weapon). If you bought the better sword with the black agate it would cost you 20,000 GPs (18,000 GPs for the sword + 2,000 GPs for the gem).

'Modem' socket items do not have a magic word that will release the gem once it is locked into the item. Originals do have a magic word but finding that magic word is another story. Most have been lost to time and tragedy. Research and spells are the most used means of discovering a forgotten magic word. Sometimes, a previous owner or the family can provide the answer. Well schooled individuals may recall reading about the item in question, but the number of originals make this difficult even if the weapons origins can be properly identified (Knowledge Arcana check at DC20 to identify a socket item as an original, DC30 to identify the origin of an item, and DC35 to know the magic word).

Note to players and DM's playing with socket items.
Want to use socket items but the market cost is to high for the current party level. Just insert an item with a releasable gem into your next hoard but don't provide the magic word to release it. The party can't possible identify the item themselves thus making it like the less expensive non-releasable version. After a few quests the party is now higher in level and ready to find the magic word and own a powerful magic item (or maybe to find the magic word was the quest!

Players beware! Unscrupulous merchants may try to sell of a non-releasable item for one that is releasable. Always get the item identified first.

Description of gems for Socket Items and their market value (modifier)

Type of Gem…………………Amulet…………………Bracers Modifier………………..Price Modifier

Agate, Black ………...plus 2 enhancement to Wis ……..Acid Resistance 5 ……………………...1
Amethyst, Veined ….plus 2 enhancement to Dex …..plus 1 to saving throws ………………..1
Archon's Tear ………plus 2 enhancement to DC of Spells… Spell Resistance 15 ………………….....3
Diamond, Perfect …..plus 2 to all saving throws ……..Damage reduction 2/- …………………2
Hellstone …………..plus 2 enhancement to DC of Spells …..Spell Resistance 15 ………………….....3
Moonstone, Pale ………..Ghost Touch spells ………Cast Mage Hand (3/day)……………….....1
Opal, Fire ………….....plus 2 enhancement to Str …..Fire Resistance 5.....……………………..1
Quartz, Jagged ……..plus 2 enhancement to Cha ……Sonic Resistance 5...……………………1
Sapphire, Blue ……....plus 2 enhancement to Con ……Cold Resistance 5...…………………….1
Topaz, Blue ……….....plus 2 enhancement to Int ……Electric Resistance 5...…………………1

Type of Gem…………………Armor…………………………Weapon..………………..Price Modifier
Agate, Black………….......Acid Resistance 5 …………..adds 1 d6 Acid damage………………….1
Amethyst, Veined.…Increases Armor Bonus by 1...Increases Weapon Bonus by 1…………1
Archon Tear…………. Protection from Evi110' Radius ….adds 2d6 Holy damage …………………....3
Diamond, Perfect …….Fortification (50% chance)……Keen or Impacting……………………....2
Hellstone……………...Protection from Good 10' Radius ……adds 2d6 Unholy damage……………...3
Moonstone, Pale ……….....Ghost Touch ………………..Ghost Touch ………………………..........1
Opal, Fire……………….......Fire Resistance 5………….adds 1d6 Fire damage………………….....1
Quartz, Jagged ……….....Sonic Resistance 5.………adds 1 d6 Sonic damage.………………...1
Sapphire, Blue ………......Cold Resistance 5.…………adds 1d6 Cold damage.……………….....1
Topaz, Blue ………….......Electric Resistance 5 …….adds 1 d6 Electric damage……………...1

NOTES:
Ghost Touch Spells allows a spell caster to cast spells that have the "Ghost Touch" ability and target incorporeal creatures normally by sacrificing a spell slot of the same level as the spell cast.

Mage Hand is cast as if the caster was a 6th level Sorcerer.

Increased weapon and armor bonuses increase the natural bonus of the weapon or armor and stack with other bonuses.

Archon’s Tear and Hellstones have an alignment. If an opposing alignment handles the planar gem in question or an item it is attached to, then he loses one level until he discards the item or gem.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases