Gnomes

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
You'd probably like to take a look at this thread about the place of gnomes from back in August. My reply from it:

In my Forgotten Realms campaign, I took a page from Douglas Adams and turned the gnomes into the overseers and custodians of the world, like the mice were for Earth. They are the tinkerers behind the scenes; adjusting the balances and powers to keep the Realms moving toward *their* vision of How Things Should Be. Just like the mice, the other races suspect nothing, thinking gnomes are funny at best, ridiculous and powerless at worst; which, of course, fits right into the gnomes master plan.

Only a hand full of individuals outside the Gnomish community know about this; in fact, less than 1% of gnomes know about it. The race of gnomes is organized like the Masons or Shriners in my campaign (helps to explain those red pointy hats as well ). The Gnomish Powers encourage their members to be tinkers, artisans, and illusionists, expecting this way that the cream of the cream will rise to the top and reveal themselves as being ready to be inducted into the deeper Mysteries.

When my players get high enough to start thinking of planes travelling, they will stumble across the Great Mission, and learn that the gnomes are the Spelljamming representatives of Faerun, sent here to look after the planet and shepherd the cultures toward being ready to join the universe at large.

The only thing I've added to them since then is that many of them are psionic; that is how I'm going to introduce psionics to my campaign as well.

Last edited:

Krieg

First Post
Ackem said:
Make the Gnomes Jewish.

About a mongth ago there was a gnomish thread in which I posted..

In my campaign world Gnomes face an existence not unlike European Jews during the middle ages.

They are a race without a homeland and face a ghettoized existence in the cities of man. Nearly every city has a gnomish section. Those looking to borrow money or deal in gemstones & jewelry invariably head to "gnometown" to do business with the gnomish moneylenders or gemcutters (who are without equal).

Almost all Gnomes dream of finding their lost homeland whose location, tragically, has been lost to memory. Recently however, there have been growing murmers that perhaps their lost home (or at least a new beginning) is to be found in the unexplored lands across the sea...

(Now ask me about my Hillbilly Halflings...I dare ya...)

Last edited:

Remove ads