Go Play (Secret Gamer Code Shhhhhh)

Agent Oracle

First Post
It started less than a month ago with a post over on Story-teller about the Secret Language of Cars.

Although the icons & avatars were already leaking over, the first RPG.net discussions showed up here two weeks later.

It now has it's own web-page.

This could be the next step for gamers, being able to identify each other purely by sight. A simple Go Play logo could be placed as a bumper sticker on your car, or on your notebook or laptop. it's an instant icebreaker "I see the go-play, you game? so do I! What do you play?" No more having to edge sideways into gaming with people who might be gamers. it's a simple way for us to tell each other from non-gamers... kinda like people who wear masonic pins...

buzz

Adventurer
I remember that ENWorld (?) tried to do something like this a whle back with "i.r.p.g." bumper-stickers. I have one.

I like the Go Play one much better, though. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think the icon is poorly chosen for its intended purpose. Since it resembles the iucon commonly found in media technology, it seems to be talking more about playing media than games.

When trying to choose a symbol, don't choose one that's already in use for something else. That way lies confusion.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Well, the first link discusses the logic behind making that symbol (and A/V workers already have their own bit of bumper-code, it looks like a reel-to-reel tape player.)

buzz

Adventurer
Umbran said:
I think the icon is poorly chosen for its intended purpose. Since it resembles the iucon commonly found in media technology, it seems to be talking more about playing media than games.
IIRC, Drawing on the existing meaning of the "play" part of the icon was intentional. Add some green (for "go"), and you get "Go Play."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
buzz said:
IIRC, Drawing on the existing meaning of the "play" part of the icon was intentional. Add some green (for "go"), and you get "Go Play."

Yes, I understand it was intentional. That doesn't mean it was a good choice. Whatever the intention, the iconography doesn't say RPG. It says recorded media. Even if you do get "go play" out of it, you can "go play" lots of things that aren't RPGs.

Sorry, but I guess I'm one of those who figures that symbols ought to bring to mind what they're referring to. Or, they ought to be at least closely related to their subject matter. The symbol from my TV remote control just doesn't say "gaming", to me.

buzz

Adventurer
But, isn't the whole point that it isn't obvious that it's "gamer sign"? What matters is that we know what it means. Much like the now-ubiquitous Jesus-fish was originally, it's supposed to mean nothing to people who aren't already in the know. Hence spreading the meme amongst the existing gamer populace.

To quote the original SG thread: "These symbols all mean something to people who are in the know, and they can be an effective way for a subgroup to self-identify." It's "nothing to do with communication, and more to do with identification."

I mean, if the point was to loudly proclaim gamerhood, you'd just make bumper stickers that said, e.g., "I play D&D; ask me how!" or whatever. :)

I highly suggest looking at the orignal thread for more explanation.

johnnype

First Post
I love this idea. As a closet gamer it's language I can relate to.

One quetion (and I'll probably ask this on rpg.net as well) how do you personalize the symbol? Is it ok to use someone elses symbol. I assume the answer is no (what's the point of personalizing it if everyone is using it). I ask because I don't know my way around drawing software at all. That and because Agent Oracle's avatar is sweet!!

Last edited:

Remove ads