Goblin Hexer: example of bad design

Kunimatyu

First Post
Now, I like 4e as much as the next guy, but I've got a little bone to pick here.

Monsters like the Goblin Hexer are bad design. You've got a very basic concept here -- goblin shaman-type who casts spells -- and yet it has a gigantic statblock with 7 abilities, 3 of which are immediate reactions. That's hell for a DM to keep track of during a complex combat, and way overkill for the concept (spell-casting goblin). Maybe it would be okay if the Goblin was Elite, but it's not, it's just a normal monster.

Now, I don't mind if certain monsters have lots of abilities; for example, Solos like beholders and dragons need lots of things to keep the party on their toes, and DM can focus entirely on running that one monster. Even Elites like a Mindflayer can be complex, because they're going to be the centerpiece of the whole fight. But a goblin mage?

/rant

AllisterH

First Post
Isn't this a trait of artillery normal monsters though?

I noticed myself that the artillery style monsters tended to have larger statblocks than normal.

I assume it is because artillery monsters tended to last longer in combat since they got the protection due to brutes and soldiers and they need to have different attacks depending on how the enemy is placed...

Kunimatyu

First Post
Isn't this a trait of artillery normal monsters though?

I noticed myself that the artillery style monsters tended to have larger statblocks than normal.

I assume it is because artillery monsters tended to last longer in combat since they got the protection due to brutes and soldiers and they need to have different attacks depending on how the enemy is placed...

He's actually a (non-elite) controller.

If you look at a Blazing Skeleton (level 5 artillery), it doesn't have a particularly large statblock.

chaotix42

First Post
Well the Goblin Hexer is both a Controller and a Leader. That seems to explain all of the abilities. Glance at the other 3rd lvl Controller (leader) monsters, the Hobgoblin Warcaster and the Gnome Arcanist. All of them share rather robust statblocks.
I don't have a problem with this, as in my experience the Goblin Hexer facilitated one of the most enjoyable combats in my 4e campaign so far. Looking at those other two I'm actually eager to use a gnome in my game, and I have great plans for that Hobgoblin...

Oddly enough, look at the Goblin Underboss, a 4th lvl Elite Controller (leader). I used this guy after the encounter with the Hexer. He has a positively wimpy stablock compared to his "lessers." Some good abilities to be sure, and that action point is nice, but hardly the options that the others have. He was rather nasty once bloodied, though - put up a good fight against several PCs at once. Now check out the Kruthik Hive Lord, a 6th lvl Elite Controller (leader). I just used this guy in my game last Thursday, and while he was quite effective with his doube damage aura (friendly kruthiks were absolute murder inside that aura) and at-will blast of acid that also deals ongoing acid damage and weakens targets, he too is lacking in a wide breadth of abilities.

Perhaps situational immediate reaction abilities are graded lower on some internal scale of monster balance we are not yet privy to?

Kunimatyu

First Post
In my opinion, it's not so much a balance issue as a complexity one. A creature with 7 abilities will be hard to use in a complex combat unless it's an Elite or Solo and has the lion's share of the XP devoted to it.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
In my opinion, it's not so much a balance issue as a complexity one. A creature with 7 abilities will be hard to use in a complex combat unless it's an Elite or Solo and has the lion's share of the XP devoted to it.

This. It begs the question: "Is this guy going to live long enough to use those abilities, or is it just excessive write up?"

Noir le Lotus

First Post
One of the first combat I've made in 4th edition was against goblins and I thought our DM was about tu turn mad. With 2 goblins elite, one hexer and 4 minions, the first turns were harsh for him because he had to think to all the immediates. It became simpler when the other goblins fell but the hexer were the last to be defeated ...

Hussar

Legend
Let's not forget that three of the seven abilities are immediate reactions. That means he's got 4 abiities to normally choose from and three others that will pop up on someone else's turn. It's likely that all or at least most of his abilities will come out during combat.

BryonD

Hero
This. It begs the question: "Is this guy going to live long enough to use those abilities, or is it just excessive write up?"

IMO it is never excessive write up to give a creature the abilities that the creature should have. Even if it ends up on the wrong end of three crits and dies before it takes its very first action.

Kunimatyu

First Post
IMO it is never excessive write up to give a creature the abilities that the creature should have. Even if it ends up on the wrong end of three crits and dies before it takes its very first action.

The Goblin Hexer has more abilities than anything in the Lich entry. All of the Liches are Elite Controllers.

Remove ads