Goblin Slayer TTRPG preorder

kenada

Legend
Supporter
So what is the quality of the book? I felt the Konosuba RPG could have used better paper quality so am interested in a comparison.
I only got to handle the physical Konosuba TRPG book at Origins (I personally have the eBook), so I’m going from memory, but the quality seems about the same. I’ll second the comment that this is basically a manga-quality print. It’s about the size of an omnibus release (but slightly bigger).

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I'll admit to being surprised when I saw its dimensions. Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying the book, I just presumed it would be more like a traditional Western RPG in terms of size and layout.
I actually prefer the smaller size, though I’d like the binding to be a bit nicer. If I were going to be running it, I’d worry the book wouldn’t hold up to frequent use at the table.

Crusadius

Adventurer
About the same as many Japanese manga books. Not newsprint quality paper, but certainly not heavy and bright white paper. I don’t know enough about all the technical ways to talk about paper but not tissue thin so it will fold or tear easy and an off-white tone but smooth. Ink is not intense, like the paper absorbed a little?

No where near as artwork saturated as seems to be expected from rule books today, some art but not much.

I only got to handle the physical Konosuba TRPG book at Origins (I personally have the eBook), so I’m going from memory, but the quality seems about the same. I’ll second the comment that this is basically a manga-quality print. It’s about the size of an omnibus release (but slightly bigger).

Thanks to you both. I think I won't get this. With the OP also clarifying its based on the Sword World system and not Dungeon World (I believe some of the initial publicity around the book had said it was Dungeon World) I'm hesitant to pick up a new system despite its "historical significance"* that I'm not going to play. A pity since the Amazon reviews are quite positive but I must remain strong and not order games that will only get put on my shelf - I already have too many of those :)

* Record of Lodoss War was the first animated fantasy show I had seen that was basically D&D, watching it from what was likely a bootleg copy early in the nineties at University, and its setting is officially a part of Sword World RPG setting

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Is anyone aware of a PDF character sheet for GS TRPG or even just plain Sword World? It seems backwards that I would have to try to make a copy of the one in the book itself.

Luceilia

Explorer
Is anyone aware of a PDF character sheet for GS TRPG or even just plain Sword World? It seems backwards that I would have to try to make a copy of the one in the book itself.
Yen Press lists a few sources for the Ebook for 10$ usd.

Haven't managed to find a... Seafaring PDF yet, but when one turns up I won't hesitate to use it for printing sheets for a book I already own.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Copy came in. Damn it's thick. RPG in digest size....

Interested to see how Sword World rules work. Kind of curious if it's similar to the old D&D Basic (probably not).

Luceilia

Explorer
At it's core, Sword World is a 2d6+Skill system so... not. ;)
I really like the Dual Attribute system where a Primary and Secondary attribute are combined for each Base Ability.

Carving Strength, Psyche, Technique and Intelligence into Focus, Endurance and Reflex expressions of each.

(No clue if that's general Sword World or Goblin Slayer specifically.)

Remove ads