God Games (NOT D&D)

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Hey, you guys ever play any RPGs where you play as a god or demigod or some kind of autonomous divine entity? (The angels in In Nomine would not count.)

Which are your favorite TTRPG "god games" and why? Tell me a little bit about them.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fleshed out and brainstormed several campaigns in systems like The Primal Order, HERO, and Scion, but never actually played in or ran one.

ccs

41st lv DM
A very long time ago I played in an Amber Diceless game. For any practical purpose our characters were demigods.
I didn't like the rules & the mix of players/GM wasn't quite right, so I didn't really enjoy the game. Fortunately it didn't last very long & then we were off to systems better suited for that group.

muppetmuppet

Explorer
I played in a game where we were gods at the start of creation. The game was diceless and the GM was very experienced at the style of game it was, as were most of the other players. It was pretty new idea to me and I enjoyed the game. We had a creation phase where we created the universe and a planet, a creation phase specifically involving the planet and a civilisation phase where the planet evolved.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hey, you guys ever play any RPGs where you play as a god or demigod or some kind of autonomous divine entity? (The angels in In Nomine would not count.)

Which are your favorite TTRPG "god games" and why? Tell me a little bit about them.

Nobilis is a game in which you play the the personification of a concept/aspect of reality. You may be the Noble of Time, for example. Or Doors. Or Christmas. Within your sphere, your power is great, outside it... not so much.

I think Wikipedia does a better job than I could at giving an overview of the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobilis

hawkeyefan

Legend
City Of Mist touches upon this in a lot of ways. The characters are not necessarily divine beings, but they are mortals who have some kind of supernatural aspect, and they're torn between their mortal and immortal aspects. I've sadly only played a couple of times, but it's a really good game.

Many years ago, a friend of mine who was a Greco-Roman scholar ran a game where each PC was a god in a Greek-style pantheon. She started it with D&D (2nd or 3rd edition?) and it was a dud. Character classes and whatnot just didn't work that well for what she wanted to do.

She then jumped to GURPS (which I had just started experimenting with) which provided better mechanics for character flaws and weaknesses, more easily customizable abilities, and a wider array of scalable conflict mechanics (especially social conflicts). She used the the 3rd edition GURPS Supers which was an imperfect book. Ultimately, the games were fun, but the campaign never fully gelled. Now that I'm writing this, it would be fun to track her down and convince her to reboot the game using the much-more-coherent 4th edition Supers and Powers books.

Len

Prodigal Member
A few years ago my group played a campaign in which the PCs were gods who had been defeated and imprisoned by a rival pantheon. The first adventure was escaping from our extra-planar prison, then we returned to the regular world where we had some mundane adventures while we tried to gain worshipers, which would restore our divine powers.

We used Pathfinder rules. Our characters had "divine power" feats which drew from a pool of power points. This worked well for gods who were relatively weak and trying to regain their powers.

The campaign only ran for a few months and never came to a conclusion, but it was pretty cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases