Godly Realms

Hey there MNblockhead,

thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'm in the second book of CS Lewis's The Space Trilogy and I'm definitely stealing some of the descriptions and concepts from them to describe other plans, divine realms.

Very interesting. I may have to pick up these books once I finish reading the Elric series.

I'm assuming the Eldila are Gods/Angels, while the Oyarsa are Elder Gods/Arch-Angels? I can see parallels with my new divine ranking system of planetary and stellar gods. I like it.

While my previous work explored higher dimensions I have adapted/created several dangerous new planes not everyone will have heard of that should put the fear back into epic (and immortal) tier players who treat the Nine Hells as a holiday camp.

Eldila seems to be the general term for basically what we'd call (created) spirits, good or evil ("dark eldila"); it's hinted that what we'd call angels are a special sub-category tasked to deal with the fallen Earth and its evils.

Oyarsa is specifically one who governs a planet; it's a title of authority rather than a type of being, like King or President.
We see at the end of Perelandra that it can be applied to humans [or effectively-humans] as well.

It seems that the Oyarsa of the outer planets or gas giants - at least Jupiter and Saturn - are of higher rank or stature or power than those of the inner planets. There is also one line saying there are others above them: "For this was great Glund-Oyarsa, King of Kings, through whom the joy of creation principally blows across these fields of Arbol, known to men in old times as Jove and under that name, by fatal but not inexplicable misprision, confused with his Maker-so little did they dream by how many degrees the stair even of created being rises above him." [Perhaps solar-system/star and galaxy-level governing intelligences?]

These are a modernization of the medieval concept of "planetary intelligences", angel-like beings responsible for the Celestial Spheres. The character of each Oyarsa is also drawn from the medieval and classical associations of that planet (Mercury = language and intelligence/wit and changeability, Venus = love, Mars = war, Jupiter = joy and rulership ["jovial"], Saturn = gloom or solemnity ["saturnine"]. The Sun and Moon (called planets in medieval times) were associated with wisdom and inconstancy or madness ["lunacy"] respectively.

I'm in the second book of CS Lewis's The Space Trilogy and I'm definitely stealing some of the descriptions and concepts from them to describe other plans, divine realms.

If you're interested in this, you might want to look up the traditional associations of the "seven classical planets". (there's more than just the emotional/character ones: the seven 'classical planets' were linked to the seven metals then known, e.g. Moon = silver, Sun = gold, Mars = iron).

The old BECMI D&D module M3 Twilight Calling also might interest you, as it's got Outer Planes based on these associations which are essentially small divine realms for mini-Immortals.

Remove ads