• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Going without sleep

Gestalt

First Post
Caliban said:
I had an idea for a cleric with a few Pearls of Power II who just stops sleeping, using Lesser Restoration and pearling it back every day. He would slowly grow more and more paranoid and erratic as the loss of dreamtime gradually ate away at his sanity...

I had a similar idea. I don't remember the name but there was a spell from in (I think) Lost Empires of Faerun that would remove fatigue. So in theory a first level cleric could avoid feeling tired from staying awake for days. Some mental effects might still exist, though.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Lack of sleep doesn't just make you tired. After a while it starts messing with your mind. You lose the ability to concentrate or even hold a train of thought, and before long you even start to hallucinate. Spells like lesser restoration may remove the fatigue but not help with the other effects.

My own house rules for lack of sleep go like this:

If you stay awake for one full night, you must make a Fort save (DC 15) or become fatigued. For each additional night, the save DC increases by +5. Magic can temporarily remove the fatigue, but it comes back eight hours later unless you have slept in the meantime. You do not get a second save when the fatigue returns.

After failing two nightly saves, you become exhausted. Again, magic can help, but only temporarily. Four hours after being cured you become fatigued; four more hours after that, you become exhausted again.

If you fail a third nightly save, the mental effects start. You take a -4 circumstance penalty on Will saves, and on any skill checks that require concentration or patience. Each round you are in combat, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1 per sleepless night) or act as if confused. In addition, you must make a Fort save (DC 15) once per hour, or fall asleep despite your intention to stay awake. Being immune to fatigue, as from the Horizon Walker ability, does not prevent you from suffering these effects. Magic also does not help here unless specifically designed to remove or lessen your sleep requirement.

If you get 4 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period, you must still make the nightly save, but its DC does not increase that day. If you get 8 hours of sleep, you move to the next less-serious step of the scale, and you need not save that night. (However, the save DC does not reset.)

Once you have had sufficient sleep for the same number of nights that you went sleepless, or have spent one entire day resting, the DC counter resets and you're fully back to normal.

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Personally, I like AuraSeer's idea, but I'd only require a Will save once per encounter, to cut down on die rolls. I would suggest damage to Wisdom and Charisma (Wisdom can represent sanity in certain extreme situations, and everybody gets cranky without sleep). Maybe a point of Wisdom damage and Charisma damage after a certain number of sleepless nights, but of course the scores couldn't be reduced below one. Or maybe try the cure-all rule for things such as these - nonlethal damage. After a while, you'd simply lapse into unconciousness from lack of sleep for an extended period of time. Strenuous activity might hasten this, so it would really encourage sleep when the Barbarian passes out in the middle of a huge battle. The details are up to you - playtest it, see what works best.

But, in short - sleep. It's good for you.

Remove ads