D&D 5E Gold Guidance

Sitara

Explorer
Now that folks have the DMG, are there any guidelines on what PCs can spend gold on, aside from Keeps and Followers? I am starting a game with the PCs at a higher level, so they have plenty of extra gold as per the preview page of the DMG. They also have an uncommon magic item each which I assume they get for free as there are no prices for magic items (which I am fine with btw).

However if there is nothing they can spend gold on I am considering having them spend money on their magic item if they choose to take it.

Another thing, how much do Wizard spell scrolls cost per level?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Two words: CAROUSING. TABLE.

pvp19991111.gif

aramis erak

Legend
There's an option to require training to level up (i'm using this in my home game); it takes not only time but some cash (not a lot, but some)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Short answer: a lot of random stuff.

The DMG gives advice for starting at higher levels in terms of GP and magic items. Not sure which level you're at (1 uncommon magic item could be a 11th-16th level low-magic campaign or 5th-10th level high magic campaign), but upkeep costs for property can get pretty pricey (100 gp per day for a small castle), enough so that it'll bankrupt a character not going on regular adventures pretty quick. With some new downtime options, they could also build new strongholds (which is not only pricey by itself, but also ushers in some recurring expenses) and craft magic items, both of which are big GP sinks. More minor GP sinks include carousing, training, sewing rumors, and running a business (which can also be profitable!).

Sitara

Explorer
Starting at a higher level can net you a magic item as per the DMG if you follow the guidelines, especially for high magic campaigns, but you get the magic items along with money. You don't have to deduct the cost of the items from your gold.

Also, again, does anyone have an idea how much magic scrolls could cost? I will be starting my game at a higher level, and while it will be low magic, I want to give my Wizard the option to have added more spells to his spellbook. To simplify things I want him to deduct the cost of scrolls from his starting cash but I don't have scroll cost guidelines.

aramis erak

Legend
Also, again, does anyone have an idea how much magic scrolls could cost? I will be starting my game at a higher level, and while it will be low magic, I want to give my Wizard the option to have added more spells to his spellbook. To simplify things I want him to deduct the cost of scrolls from his starting cash but I don't have scroll cost guidelines.

Noting that a common potion of healing is about 50gp (from the PHB and ALPG price lists), and noting in the DMG on page 285 the limits by rarity:
Common = C & 1st spells
Uncommon = 2nd & 3rd
Rare = 4th-6th
Very Rare = 7th & 8th
Legendary = 9th

And noting that the prices are on page DMG 135...

Riley37

First Post
Depends on PC motivations. If their absolute top priority in life is, say, preventing the rise of Tiamat, then it can all go back into adventuring, because the more resources you are willing to expend, the harder you can pursue your missions: healing potions, common scrolls for combat boosts, and so forth.

Riley37

First Post
Masterwork ten-foot poles, masterwork lanterns, masterwork backpacks, scabbards and quivers.

What did Beowulf buy with loot? What did Odysseus buy? Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli? Sparrowhawk? Conan?

MasterTrancer

Explorer
What did Beowulf buy with loot? What did Odysseus buy? Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli? Sparrowhawk? Conan?

Hmm...Odysseus was an actual king; besides I don't remember much loot is his adventures, nor in LoTR for Aragorn, Gimli or Legolas...

As for Conan, I'd go carousing though! :)

Remove ads