• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gomez's Masks of Nyarlathotep Game: OOC

Vendetta

First Post
I'm thinking about a washed up Private Detective who’s last case, well over a year ago, took him into a world that he was not ready to face and had no ability to explain. The experience spiraled him into a drinking binge that still hasn’t stopped.

Private Dick, Jack Chance, was always paranoid and a bit of a conspiracy theorist but his eccentric behavior was always overlooked because of his results. He was a up and coming hot shot police detective who retired his badge when he came to believe that the NY Police Commissioner was on the take from the mafia. Needless to say, this view earned him no favor within the department and when he made a play to prove his theory that didn’t pan out, he had little choice but to leave the force.

But Jack Chance found his skills and his paranoia well suited for work as a private detective and soon had a good business going. He gained an underground reputation for being able to solve the “strange” cases, those cases that left most completely baffled. As his caseload got continually stranger, his “theories” like-wise became equally as outlandish. Cases began to blur together for him and all trails seemed to lead to the conclusion.

He’d been sitting in a dive of a dinner, gnawing on old steak and smoking, trying to wrap his head around the goings on when a tall and dark stranger approached him and invited him to an old warehouse on the docks where, he told Jack, there was invaluable information that would help him crack the whole thing wide open. But what he saw was beyond words.

Jack couldn’t come to grips with that night at the docks and soon came to accept what people had been saying about him… that he had finally lost it. Fearing being taken away to a sanitarium, Jack quickly began to denounce everything he’d thought and claimed he’d seen. He announced that he was wrong about things and that he’d just been working too many cases too hard for too long.

Sure, it kept him out of the sanitarium, but he’d also lost the last of his credibility. Now, Jack is lucky to get two-bit jobs working for two-bit clients. Turning to the bottle, Jack tries to wash away the memories through the magic of booze. He’s even begun to forget and accept his own denials as the truth… but for the nightmares. Alcoholic, perhaps, but the local pub is the best place for Jack to forget everything that has brought him to this low.

But deep down inside he knows he’s right about the horrors.

I hope he's not too cheesy or terribly steriotypical... I can come up with something else if this doesn't work

Last edited:

Ashy

First Post
Gomez, do you want to detail what Charles grabbed, or should I? Basically, I was just trying to fill out my equipment section and have a little money in Charles' pockets. ;) Mainly, I just want to make sure that some of the books that he has are on the occult so he can do a little research. ;)

Gomez

First Post
Ok here are the new characters.

Jack Chance
Male Detective (offensive option) 3

Height: 6’0"
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Hazel

STR 12 +1
DEX 14 +2
CON 15 +2
INT 10 +0
WIS 13 +1
CHA 17 +2

HP: 20
AC: 12
Init: +2
Speed: 30’
Sanity: 65

Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2

BAB: +3
Melee Atk: +4
Ranged Atk: +5

Skills: Gather Information +6, Hide +5, Intimidate +8, Listen +4, Move Silently +6, Open Lock +7, Search +8, Sense Motive +7, Spot +4, Knowledge: Streetwise +6, Bluff +8, Drive +4

Languages: English

Feats: Weapon Proficiency: Pistol, Sharp Eyed, Persuasive, Point Blank Shot

Wealth (saved): $4,000
Wealth (income): $2,000

.......................................................................................................

Ulysses Livermore
Male Naval Officer (offensive option) 3

Height: 5’11
Weight: 185 lbs
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue

STR 10 +0
DEX 15 +2
CON 12 +1
INT 13 +1
WIS 14 +2
CHA 17 +3

HP: 20
AC: 12
Init: +2
Speed: 30’
Sanity: 70

Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +5

BAB: +3
Melee Atk: +3
Ranged Atk: +5

Skills: Demolitions +6, Diplomacy +8, Heal +5, Intimidate +8, Operate Heavy Machinery +6, Pilot: Motorboat +8, Pilot: Sailboat +8, Spot +7, Swim +5, Knowledge: Geography +6, Speak Other Language: Chinese +7, Use Rope +8

Languages: English, Chinese +7

Feats: Weapon Proficiency: Pistol, Weapon Proficiency: Rifle, Weapon Proficiency: Submachine Gun, Weapon Proficiency: Melee

Wealth (saved): $8,000
Wealth (income): $4,000

Let me know if you want to change anything. I have not equiped them. We can work that out as we go.

Last edited:

Gomez

First Post
Ashy,

When Miriam called Charles at his shop, it was about 8:30 pm. She wanted him to meet her at her apartment the next morning around 10 am.

As for what stuff you have on your character person, just let me know if your armed or not and if your have anything special on your person.

Last edited:

Ashy

First Post
Yes, I know. Charles is not about to stay by himself tonight!!! :p Ok, I'm not armed but do need to know approximately how much money Charles would have...

Gomez

First Post
Ashy said:
Yes, I know. Charles is not about to stay by himself tonight!!! :p Ok, I'm not armed but do need to know approximately how much money Charles would have...

Ahh! I see. Ok, my misunderstanding then. :D

Charles would have a about $100 available to him from the store register. If he wanted more he would have to go to his bank.

Last edited:

Vendetta

First Post
WOOOT

Jack Chance looks great to me. No need to change a thing.

Hope he'll fit in well, my back story and all. (I like that his sanity is lower than Ulysses :D)

Going to go post him up in the RG

Gomez

First Post
Vendetta said:
WOOOT

Jack Chance looks great to me. No need to change a thing.

Hope he'll fit in well, my back story and all. (I like that his sanity is lower than Ulysses :D)

Going to go post him up in the RG

Go check the IC thread. I have introduced Jack and Ulysses into the game. I hope you don't mind my adding to Jack's background just a bit. Good luck everyone! Your going to need it. ;)

Last edited:

Gomez

First Post
Ashy,

Since Charles went over to St. Francis to spend the night, I think he would go with Father O'Malley and Jibril to Emersons Imports. Is that ok with you?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads