D&D 4E Good 4e Podcasts?

McTreble

First Post
I listen to a few good RPG podcasts, with Fear the Boot being my favorite. PRoblem is, among them it seems like 4e is a 4-letter word, and they either openly bash it, use it as a punchline, or dismiss it all together.

I'm not looking for an obvious promotional podcast (WotC's D&D podcast), or one that is a fanboi adoration podacast, or one that simply spouts min/max options for the mechanics.

The only one that comes to mind matching what I want is The Tome, and I really dislike the podcast. It's dry and humorless, and the unenthusiastic hosts make it a chore to listen to, and there are many spots of dead air. There has to be an alternative out there.

Can anyone recommend a good RPG podcast that treats 4e with respect, but is a quality product?

I don't mind the Tome except when they go off reviewing D&D novels, which I have zero interest in.

I think Critical Hits is pretty good, especially when Mike Shea is a guest.

I also enjoy the Icosahedrophilia actual play podcast a lot.

The only other D&D podcast I listen to is Save Or Die, which has the same problem as Fear the Boot.

Vael

Legend
Radio Free Hommlett was pretty good, but they've stopped. It's mostly an optimization podcast though. Still, like their reviews of 4e material.

Radio Free Hommlet was my favourite 4e podcast, but they got burned out on the format, and it was beginning to grate on me to listen to their distaste for the Essentials product line.

The only other 4e podcast I can recommend is Roving Band of Misfits, unfortunately for the OP, it is mechanically oriented too.

Moorcrys

Explorer
In terms of 4e only podcasts, I think that's what I listen to as well: Roving Band of Misfits, the Tome Show, Critical Hits. I spend a lot of time on the train and like to listen to all three.

Icosahedrophilia - this is an actual play podcast. However, beyond that, Chris Heard the DM has a good website and takes time at the end to highlight products he's been using and cool things he's implemented throughout the game. It's given me quite a few ideas and gotten me to buy a few products.

Gone are the days of Radio Free Hommlet and The Power Source, both of which I listened to. I wish there were some more 4e-meaty podcasts out there.

Last edited:

McTreble

First Post
Sounds like a demographic that might need some new entries...

I've been kicking around the idea of starting my own for some time now, but damn if I'm not too busy these days. Shame.

Thanks for the suggestions. Definately going to add Critical Hits.

Zaran

Adventurer
There is another podcast different from Critical Hits mentioned already. It's called Major Spoilers: Critical Hits. Major Spoilers talks about comics and pop culture but they have a DnD podcast almost every Saturday and the story is good. They are very casual gamers and don't always get the rules right or forget what their characters can do but they are very entertaining and do their best to educate the listener as they go.

Madaxemat

First Post
Although not quite what your looking for may I recommend the thursday knights, its an actually play podcast of a 4e campaign starting at paragon and now somewhere in epic.

Very enjoable and suprising good quality for a fan made cast.

Matt,

MadMaxim

First Post
Great thread, McTreble! I was wondering about the same thing because I've only been listening to Radio Free Hommlet and getting my 4th edition news and stuff from there.

Fkewl

First Post
For me , it's actual play podcasts only and Critical hits

Gamer's Haven Actual Play (not only 4e, but all sorts)
Icosahedrophilia
and The Shattered Sea

I also listen to The Gaming Grunts (Call of Cthulu) and RPGMP3 (all sorts)

Remove ads