• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good alchemy/herbology rules for non-spellcasters?

Galethorn

First Post
Ok, so, in the new (Grim Tales) campaign I've started, one of the PCs is a crazy old shaman who uses alchemy and herblore as a major focus (like how another character might focus on archery)...and I'm looking for a book (or books) and/or a PDF that has stuff like (non-magical) potions, poisons, and so forth for him to make. By non-magical, I mean stuff that you don't need [Brew Potion] and particular spells to craft.

So, anybody have suggestions or ideas? I'm looking for something cheap that won't come with a lot of other stuff I don't need, preferably...if somebody had their own material on a webpage or something, and wanted to throw a link my way, that would be even better.

Last edited:

Try the complete book of witches. It has an extensive list of herbs that can be refined. Not all will be reasonable but quite a few are comparable to alchemical concoctions.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Galethorn said:
Ok, so, in the new (Grim Tales) campaign I've started, one of the PCs is a crazy old shaman who uses alchemy and herblore as a major focus (like how another character might focus on archery)...and I'm looking for a book (or books) and/or a PDF that has stuff like (non-magical) potions, poisons, and so forth for him to make. By non-magical, I mean stuff that you don't need [Brew Potion] and particular spells to craft.

So, anybody have suggestions or ideas? I'm looking for something cheap that won't come with a lot of other stuff I don't need, preferably...if somebody had their own material on a webpage or something, and wanted to throw a link my way, that would be even better.
e-Alchemy by Bastion Press is free... and their "Alchemy & Herbalists" book (which is now, sadly, out of print if I'm not mistaken).

Occult Lore (you should be able to find a PDF at rpgnow.com) has some stuff as well.

I know there are more sources out there, but can't think of any off hand; try searching for "Alchemy" at rpgnow and you'll get some hits, though.

Teneb

Explorer
Bastion's Alchemy and Herbalists will be coming out in PDF in the future. I just finished converting it to 3.5 about a month ago. I think it's by far the best rules on the topic out there.

JEL

First Post
The Complete Alchemist by Bard Games then later Wizards of the Cost (before they dropped RPGs to focus on card games) is an excellent book on PCs as alchemists.

Andor

First Post
Or you could just go to a book (preferably an occult/new age) store and pick up a mundane book on herbalism. Go ahead and take it at face value for game purpose.

fafhrd

First Post
JEL said:
Wizards of the Cost

So true.

Regarding "Alchemy & Herbalists", I'm not sure it's what your looking for Galethorn. There's some decent info on herbs in there, but large sections of the book are feat driven IIRC. That was my major beef with the work.

Sledge

First Post
With regards to Alchemy & Herbalist. Actually that whole feat driven thing is just errata from what I was told. They look like they need feats, but are intended to just show which feats help the creation of that item. A few specific types of items do require extra feats but most do not.

fafhrd

First Post
Hrm, thanks for the info. It's been a while since I last perused its contents. Maybe it deserves a closer look.

Crothian

First Post
fafhrd said:

:\

Bastion's book is the most complete that I've seen. Occulty lore and the witch book do have some good ideas and are usweful for expanding (with a little work) what the Bastion book presents. I am meager to see it as a 3.5 book, that will be more useful. I usually convert things oin the fly and trhat is not always the best way to do it. ;)

Remove ads