• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good alchemy/herbology rules for non-spellcasters?

cmanos

First Post
Rolemaster had the most extensive herb and plant system that I can think of. Would need some serious conversion to d20 but I have been thinking about doing it.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Teneb said:
Bastion's Alchemy and Herbalists will be coming out in PDF in the future. I just finished converting it to 3.5 about a month ago. I think it's by far the best rules on the topic out there.

Make sure to convert the hit dice of the PrCs! (Odd bit of errata to have missed)

Good book overall.

As others have mentioned, Occult Lore was another strong book in that field.

And yeah, the old Bard's Game/WoTC Compleate Alchemist was fun.

der_kluge

Adventurer
There were some links in the news yesterday to Tangent Games covering several alchemy-related products ( Better Damage through Alchemistry, Mineral Alchemy, and Mineral Magic: Volume One).

I might have to take a look at those.

Turns out, I used to work with one of the guys that's a part of that company. What a small world.

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
The Sigil said:
e-Alchemy by Bastion Press is free... and their "Alchemy & Herbalists" book (which is now, sadly, out of print if I'm not mistaken).

The problem with A&H is that it is magical in nature (as should alchemy be these days). Their (Bastion) Torn Asunder, which has 2 sections on herbalism, would be a better source. Nyambe has some useful rules, but is such a small part of the book that it isn't worth the cost. Verdent World (on rpgnow) has some rules on herbalism, but the selection of plants and their effects isn't great and the file is expensive (though beautiful).

There really isn't a good source of non-magical herbalism rules for d20 that I have read.

Galethorn

First Post
Hmm, I've been looking at the various stuff people have suggested so far...

And I realized that I could have been more clear when I said 'non-magical'.

What I meant is that I'm looking for alchemy/herbalism rules that don't hinge on the caster being a spellcaster.

Galethorn

First Post
I didn't even notice that section before...

You see, I used a friend's copy to steal some Heroic Paths for the PCs to use, but I didn't really ever look though the whole book...

Anyway, I looked at the herbalism section, and it should work perfectly, and as for alchemy, I think Shaman Boy can make due with the stuff in the PHB, and variants thereof.

Thanks everybody; I think I'm set.

Remove ads