• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Matrix RPG?

Jurble

First Post
Just rewatched the movies and was thinking it would make a great setting for a campaign.

Im thinking a campaign with kinda seems like d20 modern with magic "chars with powers" but then they slowly get find out its actually a matrix campaign.

Anyway im looking for a decent RPG system made for the Matrix. theres some inherent difficulties with runnin ga matrix campaign. Im thinking youd have to have different stat blocks for in the matrix and out of it, and blunted combat abilities (every resistance fighter would be say novice (mid level combat) trained (high level combat).

Im sure there must have been previous discussion about this just wondering if anyones published it before?

thanks guys! :)

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I did it once with Mage the Ascension. Mage is about reality being maleable based on the will of the mage. Basically if you believe something strong enough you can make it happen. That fits neatly into The Matrix "There is no spoon" philosophy. The magic system is so fluid that you aren't restricted to prewritten spells. You are given a description of what you are capable of and it is up to the player to mix-n-match their control of the different spheres of reality into the desired effect. Their Arete score reflects their understanding of reality. Used in The Matrix this would reflect how much they have come to terms that The Matrix is not real and that they can do anything they wish in it.

HIT Marks and Men in Black became agents of the machine. It was surprising how well it worked out.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
M&M could handle it with the greatest of ease.

'There is no Spoon' is a free RPG specifically based on The Matrix, not surprisingly.

No doubt there are some dodgy d20 takes (i.e., Modern or D&D hacks) on it.

Jurble

First Post
Yah i had a scout around google. I found some non-system specific stuff which is really great, awesome for the fluff side of things, fleshing out the world, now im just looking for rules stuff.

cheers ill have to look up this "there is no spoon" system and check out mage ascension. Calico what did you mean by HIT Marks and Men in black (RPG systems?)

Also im more into the story/character development than the exacting strategic combat system side, any suggestions on general systems that focus more on the RP side of your char etc compared to d20s very exacting strategy side?

thanks a ton for the input everyone :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Calico what did you mean by HIT Marks and Men in black (RPG systems?)

I'm not Calico, but I can answer the questions: those are character types in Mage.

Also im more into the story/character development than the exacting strategic combat system side, any suggestions on general systems that focus more on the RP side of your char etc compared to d20s very exacting strategy side?

Yep — There is No Spoon. This is definitely the game for you :)

Last edited:

Calico_Jack73

First Post
HIT Marks are basically Terminators that are sent out to capture/kill Mages.

Men in Black are just what you'd expect. They investigate "Reality Deviants" and either deal with the problem themselves or call in the heavy guns (like the HIT Marks above). They are more likely to capture and "re-educate" mages.

Both of these groups utilize super-science that would still be considered science fiction by the masses. They can do some pretty amazing things. However, their "magic" still has to be rooted in the laws of reality unlike the magic of mages. This also goes along with Morpheus' description of the Agents in the first movie as the reason that the Agents will never be as fast or as strong as Neo could be.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Just rewatched the movies and was thinking it would make a great setting for a campaign.

Im thinking a campaign with kinda seems like d20 modern with magic "chars with powers" but then they slowly get find out its actually a matrix campaign.

Anyway im looking for a decent RPG system made for the Matrix. theres some inherent difficulties with runnin ga matrix campaign. Im thinking youd have to have different stat blocks for in the matrix and out of it, and blunted combat abilities (every resistance fighter would be say novice (mid level combat) trained (high level combat).

Im sure there must have been previous discussion about this just wondering if anyones published it before?

thanks guys! :)

Feng Shui is PERFECT for Matrix-style games.

Atlas Games: Charting New Realms of Imagination

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Feng-Shui-Action-Movie-Roleplaying/dp/1887801766/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i]Amazon.com: Feng Shui: Action Movie Roleplaying: Robin D. Laws: Books[/ame]

Rechan

Adventurer
If you didn't want to do it out of the box, you could use Exalted, and 1) Reflavor, 2) Design some new Charms.

You could do it with HERO, too.

Spirit of the Century might also work, if you poke it a little.

Remove ads