• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Good OGL Book of Spells for 3.5/PF?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm working on customizing some domains for my PF campaign and am trying to avoid making too many custom spells to round them out. In years past I've used the stuff in the 3.5 Spell Compendium, but I don't really want to use non-OGL stuff just in case I decide to do something with what I make some year.

So, anyone have a favorite OGL book of spells to recommend beyond the core PF book and Ultimate Magic?

Thanks!

JustinAlexander

First Post
I'm a huge fan of Monte Cook's Book of Eldritch Might series, which was collected in the Complete Book of Eldritch Might. I used to hand out the first two as actual books of lore to the PCs: They would find a copy of it in the game world and I would hand over a physical copy.

FFG had a series of supplements -- School of Illusion, School of Evocation, etc. -- that was a little hit-and-miss, but which I've also pulled some really good stuff out of over the years. This includes Spells & Spellcraft. (Disclaimer: I worked as a freelancer for FFG, but not on any of their spell-based products.)

Checking my notes, it looks like I've also pulled substantial chunks out of Bastion Press' Spells & Magic, but it's been long enough since I read the whole thing that I'm not sure how consistent the content is. (Looks like I may have been tweaking spell levels as I pulled them, too, which isn't always a great sign.)

There's also Relics & Rituals and Relics & Rituals 2 from the Swords & Sorcery imprint of White Wolf. I found these to be very inconsistent, but there's enough content there that I frequently dip in and find stuff worth salvaging.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I've got to agree with [MENTION=6700092]JustinAlexander[/MENTION] - I'm also a huge fan of the Complete Book of Eldritch Might or its constituent parts.

And it's not just the spells: there's so much material in there to inspire a DM as well. I still refer to it often despite the fact that my games are 4E.

Remove ads