Good Starship for a Jedi

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
My Saga game is currently on indefinite hiatus, but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about my jedi character and his possible development. So, as I think about the kind of missions he might be sent on, I've been trying to figure out what the best ship in the current rules might be for him and the rest of the party.

Here's where I'm thoughtwise, and I could use the feedback of other players:

First, no YT-series. I know they're immensely popular, but with the possible exception of the YT-2000, I feel like they've been done to death.

Second, no starfighters. It has to be big enough for crew and at least a few passengers.

Third, it has to be fast. The idea I'm working with is a fast courier ship that can get between missions and away from enemies relatively quickly.

Fourth, cool enough for a jedi. My ideal would be something like Darth Maul's ship from the Starship Codex (or the Rogue Shadow), but that's of course not commercially available.

Among the ships I've been looking at are the Firespray, Barloz Freighter, the Ghtroc, the Surronian Conquerer, or (if I'm feeling really in need of cargo space) the Maka-Eekai L4000.

Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated. If I can ever convince our GM to pick up the game again, I'm right at the point in the campaign we're we'll proabably both need and be able to afford a ship of our own.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Well the ones you've mentioned fill a pretty large range. One question I guess that you don't clearly state is.. is the Jedi alone? If he's traveling with a party then that will play a factor in choosing a ship. The other thing you didn't mention was the era of play... so that can change availability as well.

For a sole Jedi I might suggest the Aethersprite Fighters.. an Antique if you're playing Movie era but built for exactly what you mention.. a cool ship that can be independently maintained (with the exception of the lack of inbuilt hyperspace - which could be modded into it using the Scum & Villainy or Starships of the Galaxy modification rules.

The YT-2000 is one of my personal favorite alternatives but the Barloz and Ghtroc are good as well especially if you're hauling a crew around.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'm assuming at least part of our party will be traveling with me (though multiple ships is a possibility). The reason i was looking at freighters primarily was in case we needed to haul cargo or passengers in addition to the party members, but they sacrifice a bit sometimes on firepower and speed which is why I was considering the Conqueror as an alternative.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Surronian Conqueror-class Assault Ship (Scum & Villainy pages 62-64) may fit the bill. It's a damn fine looking ship, a speed of 5, 25 tons of cargo (enough for some small jobs), and x1 hyperdrive. Has room for 3 crew and 1 passenger, but if that isn't enough I think you can accomodate more people with EP expendature.

Shalimar

First Post
Among the ships I've been looking at are the Firespray, Barloz Freighter, the Ghtroc, the Surronian Conquerer, or (if I'm feeling really in need of cargo space) the Maka-Eekai L4000.

The L4000 has been errate'd. The Cargo Capacity is 140 tons now instead of 410. Not sure if that was originally intended but people were sacrificing 310 tons of cargo space for 62 emplacement points and loading up with enough heavy turbolasers and Heavy Ion cannons to give even Cruisers like star destroyers a bad day.

pawsplay

Hero
Rebellion era game or what?

The Imperial Shuttlecraft is surprisingly versatile. Just give that sucker some good shields and an upgraded hyperdrive.

In one game, I gave my players a renovated Republic cruiser.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Assuming it ever gets back on track, it's a "Dawn of Defiance" campaign, so pretty much anything from Clone Wars/Force Unleashed and that general timeframe will work well.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I've recently been partial to the Counselor-class Cruisers (aka Republic Cruiser). They can be run by a crew of two, but are spacious enough that they can hold a decent amount of cargo, carry passengers, and even be modified to have space for training areas, luxury quarters, or what have you.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
The L4000 has been errate'd. The Cargo Capacity is 140 tons now instead of 410. Not sure if that was originally intended but people were sacrificing 310 tons of cargo space for 62 emplacement points and loading up with enough heavy turbolasers and Heavy Ion cannons to give even Cruisers like star destroyers a bad day.

I dunno. The Ghtroc only has 135 tons, while the L4000 has three decks dedicated almost exclusively to cargo. 410 seems to make a lot more sense given the ship's configuration. Count on power gamers to find a way to exploit it though. It's low on my list anyway. The ghtroc would be a much more likely candidate.

Remove ads