D&D 5E Goodman Games latest OAR, Grimtooth's Old-School Traps

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
We don't know details, but "pulled" may be a strong term. If they had signed, say, a 5 year contract and not renewed it, that would explain what we are seeing.
I'd assume it was either a 10 year deal; or more likely two 5 year deals, with an option to renew after the first deal - which was exercised.

WotC did the same thing with White Wolf for Vampire the Eternal Struggle CCG (fka Jyhad)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd assume it was either a 10 year deal; or more likely two 5 year deals, with an option to renew after the first deal - which was exercised.

WotC did the same thing with White Wolf for Vampire the Eternal Struggle CCG (fka Jyhad)
Well, I said five years because the time frame from Into the Borderlands being published and the books being excised from Goodman Games website is about 5 years. And 5 is a nice round number, for legal agreement purposes.

But we don't know.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
I would be curious to know what else had been on Goodman's wish list before the apparent change. I think they clearly got through the ones that best fit their vibe that there would also be a strong audience for. Other than the two versions of the Palace of the Silver Princess, I don't know that there are many classic TSR adventures left that would have a satisfying enough history to merit the OAR treatment (since, for Goodman, these books serving as history books is clearly important).

It's entirely possible that they were ready to switch their focus over to Judges Guild and Flying Buffalo anyway.
Ignoring their appearance in Tales from the Yawning Portal, they could have easily done S1 - Tomb of Horrors and C1 - Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. Likewise, they could have possibly taken a crack at the A1-A4 Slavelord series*, N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God (my personal choice) or N3 - Destiny of Kings.

* For me, seeing them flesh out Suderham further and the possibilities there would have been worth the price of admission.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Ignoring their appearance in Tales from the Yawning Portal, they could have easily done S1 - Tomb of Horrors and C1 - Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. Likewise, they could have possibly taken a crack at the A1-A4 Slavelord series*, N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God (my personal choice) or N3 - Destiny of Kings.

* For me, seeing them flesh out Suderham further and the possibilities there would have been worth the price of admission.
I'd really like the drow series ending with Queen of the Demonweb pits

Goodman was like the least hostile to the OGL shenaginans, and here we have WoTC pulling the plug on the best use of their old adventures. Shame. I’m guessing we’ll see more useless crap like the Against the Giants thing from Yawning Portal where WoTC couldn’t even be bothered to know the size of a Giant in 5e.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Yeah, but those were clearly unavailable. If They could have done Tomb of Horrors, we would have gotten that in the first three OAR volumes, I suspect. Ditto the giants, the drow, White Plume Mountain (which actually would benefit from the "reprint every single version of the module" format in OAR).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am extremely whelmed. For the first time, I think, there aren't any scans of the original books included, per the FAQ, so this is basically just an update of Goodman's previous Grimtooth conversion books.

I'd like to see what the 5E and DCC stats look like before making a final decision, but this is almost certainly a pass.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am extremely whelmed. For the first time, I think, there aren't any scans of the original books included, per the FAQ, so this is basically just an update of Goodman's previous Grimtooth conversion books.

I'd like to see what the 5E and DCC stats look like before making a final decision, but this is almost certainly a pass.
Yeah, it doesn't feel insequence with 1-7.

Remove ads