D&D 5E Goodman Games latest OAR, Grimtooth's Old-School Traps

mamba

Legend
Oooooh.

Part of what makes deciding to get this a little more difficult is the bifurcation of DCC and 5E stuff, when it not cler to me that Grimtooth needs to be that system specific. It makes more sense as DCC, maybe, but I see a lot more 5E in play...
I assume it is about detection, damage dealt, but yes, there should not be a lot of difference. Would have preferred it as a combined set, should only be a few pages more

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know I am late to the party, but did WotC pull the license on old school adventures from Goodman?
We don't know details, but "pulled" may be a strong term. If they had signed, say, a 5 year contract and not renewed it, that would explain what we are seeing.

We do know that Chris Perkins was just teasing something related to S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is coming next year, so it could be that WotC sees more value in repurposing these by themselves now they did when they first made a deal with Goodman.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would be curious to know what else had been on Goodman's wish list before the apparent change. I think they clearly got through the ones that best fit their vibe that there would also be a strong audience for. Other than the two versions of the Palace of the Silver Princess, I don't know that there are many classic TSR adventures left that would have a satisfying enough history to merit the OAR treatment (since, for Goodman, these books serving as history books is clearly important).

It's entirely possible that they were ready to switch their focus over to Judges Guild and Flying Buffalo anyway.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would be curious to know what else had been on Goodman's wish list before the apparent change. I think they clearly got through the ones that best fit their vibe that there would also be a strong audience for. Other than the two versions of the Palace of the Silver Princess, I don't know that there are many classic TSR adventures left that would have a satisfying enough history to merit the OAR treatment (since, for Goodman, these books serving as history books is clearly important).

It's entirely possible that they were ready to switch their focus over to Judges Guild and Flying Buffalo anyway.
It's true, it could be that the two companies mutually decided that going further wouldn't fit, with what Goodman would expect to sell and what WotC would want for payment. We'll likely never know the details, or not for years if we ever do.

I would have loved B3, personally.

As I understand it, they didnhave a lost wish so much as a list from WotC of stuff WotC had zero plans to use. So, U1-3 were not available on Goodman, but X2 was. Sounds like winds have changed at WotC: in 2019, they had no plans for S3, now they'd. I would not be shocked if B2 ends up being the "Sample Adventure" in the DMG, at this rate.

Remove ads