Goofy Final Fantasy x-2 Theory (Spoilers, of course)

Arani Korden

First Post
So FF X-2 has an NPC supergenius character named Shinra. Late in the game, in an optional bit of dialogue, Shinra scans the Farplane and notes that it holds limitless energy, and there's a short conversation about the possibility of harnessing that energy, and how you could (to paraphrase) create a whole world of light like ancient Zanarkand, which was a heavily mechanized society.

FF VII, on the other hand, takes place in a heavily mechanized world which is powered by Mako energy ("the lifeblood of the planet!") and run by the sinister Shinra, Inc.

So is it the Squaresoft tendency to recycle names and concepts, or is the world of X and X-2 secretly a prequel to the world of VII? (I know, I know. It's the Squaresoft tendency to recycle names and concepts. I said it was a goofy theory, didn't I?)

LightPhoenix

First Post
Arani Korden said:
So FF X-2 has an NPC supergenius character named Shinra. Late in the game, in an optional bit of dialogue, Shinra scans the Farplane and notes that it holds limitless energy, and there's a short conversation about the possibility of harnessing that energy, and how you could (to paraphrase) create a whole world of light like ancient Zanarkand, which was a heavily mechanized society.

FF VII, on the other hand, takes place in a heavily mechanized world which is powered by Mako energy ("the lifeblood of the planet!") and run by the sinister Shinra, Inc.

So is it the Squaresoft tendency to recycle names and concepts, or is the world of X and X-2 secretly a prequel to the world of VII? (I know, I know. It's the Squaresoft tendency to recycle names and concepts. I said it was a goofy theory, didn't I?)
It's certainly possible, and a helluva lot less far out than many of the "FF is one world" theories that are out there.

Still, I'm a firm believer in that there are no direct sequels (besides FF10-2), and if there were they'd make it much more obvious that two of the games were linked. After all, they've had plenty of opportunities to expand on the previous games, and they've chosen not to.

Remove ads