Got All 3 Books? Which One's Your Favourite?

Many folks now have all three core rulebooks for D&D 5th Edition - the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. All three are getting great reviews, currently trending at 92.5%, 89%, and 95.5% respectively. But which one do you feel is the strongest of the three books? Me, I vote for the DMG. It's so crammed full of material, that even non-D&D players should...

Many folks now have all three core rulebooks for D&D 5th Edition - the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. All three are getting great reviews, currently trending at 92.5%, 89%, and 95.5% respectively. But which one do you feel is the strongest of the three books? Me, I vote for the DMG. It's so crammed full of material, that even non-D&D players should have it. How about you? Vote now!

fjw70

Adventurer
That's a tough one. I love all three but as a DM I will have to go with the DMG. A case could be made for any of them though.

Tormyr

Adventurer
They are all great and all necessary for the DM, but the DMG is the crucial piece for me as I am converting the Age of Worms AP. You need the rules of the PHB. Having 5e monsters made life easier in converting the AP, but the monster creation guidelines, traps, magic items, and guidelines for creating them make a complete package for someone who is doing conversions.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I can't really answer. There are things I really like in all of them. For example, I like the content of the PHB the best, but the art in the DMG the best. They are all great. So I voted for the MM ;)

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I feel like there's an understandable and clear upward quality trend in the three books. The PHB is very nice, but the MM is better and the DMG is uniformly excellent.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
All make me happy, but MM has made me happiest. Text, crunch, art, coverage, nods to the old and new twists. One of the all time great RPG books.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
While the production values for all 3 bokos are great, and there's useful info in all of them...

I gotta go with the PHB.
It's the gateway to the game.

While it's not QUITE as newbie-friendly as it could have been, it's strides about most of the previous versions. (WHile I enjoy both 3.5 and 4E, to be fair, their versions of the PHC are somewhat dry and scholarly...)

aramis erak

Legend
Many folks now have all three core rulebooks for D&D 5th Edition - the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. All three are getting great reviews, currently trending at 92.5%, 89%, and 95.5% respectively. But which one do you feel is the strongest of the three books? Me, I vote for the DMG. It's so crammed full of material, that even non-D&D players should have it. How about you? Vote now!

I think the PHB is the strongest of the books, even tho' my favorite is the DMG. The DMG has better art, and is more fun to read. The PHB is far more utilitarian.

The_Gneech

Explorer
They're all pretty amazing, but I gotta go with the Monster Manual, partly for the whimsical illustrations, but also because RAR! MONSTERS!

-The Gneech :cool:

Remove ads

Remove ads