Got All 3 Books? Which One's Your Favourite?

Many folks now have all three core rulebooks for D&D 5th Edition - the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. All three are getting great reviews, currently trending at 92.5%, 89%, and 95.5% respectively. But which one do you feel is the strongest of the three books? Me, I vote for the DMG. It's so crammed full of material, that even non-D&D players should...

Many folks now have all three core rulebooks for D&D 5th Edition - the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. All three are getting great reviews, currently trending at 92.5%, 89%, and 95.5% respectively. But which one do you feel is the strongest of the three books? Me, I vote for the DMG. It's so crammed full of material, that even non-D&D players should have it. How about you? Vote now!

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
A toss up. I voted for the PHB because there isn't any game without it. (I don't consider the Basic Rules to be the 'real' game, even though it is.) Also, I've only skimmed the DMG, and haven't gotten very far into a full read yet. (Besides, its unlikely that I'll run a game anytime soon, if ever.)

The DMG has won me over, but this contest does feel a bit like asking, "of these three items: steak, chocolate and cold hard cash, which one is your favorite?"

Sacrosanct

Legend
The DMG has won me over, but this contest does feel a bit like asking, "of these three items: steak, chocolate and cold hard cash, which one is your favorite?"

I was gonna go with "blonde, brunette, or redhead" myself, but yeah ;) I mean, depending on the day, the answer will change

Rhenny

Adventurer
The PHB is always my favorite, so I expect it to be my favorite. This time around, the DMG was way beyond my expectations, so I voted DMG.

mouselim

First Post
For me, PHB is the best in advancing the D&D 5e concept and game. The other next most useful will be the MM. Lastly DMG. Why? PHB is mandatory for play. MM is packed with information for play from start to end but DMG contains certain amount (and to a large extent) of fluff. No doubt that there are important information found within but not much and they ARE OPTIONAL. Which meant that certain aspects of gameplay not to liking or not covered in the PHB (or the basic DMG) can be house-ruled.

Hence, with that in mind, the least important will be the DMG.

Remove ads

Remove ads